This thread was in other groups and it was one of the most encouraging, most inspiring, heartbreaking, exhilarating, empowering threads. Some werepersonal, some were general but all hit home one way or the other, so here goes mine.
1. To not have to contort to take care of hygeine, especially bathroom needs.
2. To take the steps TWO steps at a time
3. To have more invigorating intimacy with my husband.
4. To feel sexy in clothes, not just 'look nice'.
5. To walk gardens and parks and beaches with my family and not huff and puff.
Try this, it can be very freein. list as many as you want if you feel like it. Your posts keep me going. I do look forward to 'hearing' your reasons.
what? no reasons for wanting to shed " this oh too solid flesh" Shakespear. Come on there have got to be reasons.
Mostly for health, but...
I'm a personal trainer who is over weight. How can I inspire if I don't inspire myself.
I want to be able to go to the bathroom by myself until the day I die!
here are the other 2
Put jeans on without sucking it in.
Look at myself naked in the mirror without saying ewe...
Top 5 reasons? hmmmmmm......well these are just a start
1. Reduce the need for insulin and save my kidneys.
2. Reduce the risk factor of heart attack so that I can dance at my grandaughter's wedding
3. To walk up and down the trails at the campgrounds, or Busch Gardens and not be the last one.
4. To be able to walk into a regular store (not a plus size) and buy something off the rack that fits and looks nice
5. To go to a gathering of family and freinds and NOT have everyone ask me "how" I am doing and then ask me "Hows the diet thing coming along? With that pitiful look of someone who has NEVER had a weight problem.
1. For health. Diabetes, cholesterol, triglycerides, knees.
2. Better fiitting clothes, comfort.
3. To be able to not feel self conscious about my appearance.
4. Being able to fit in a booth in a resturant. (Already happening)
5. Overall feeling better about myself and more confidence.
I had to think about these things for a while.
All of the above but what about so I can look different!
I've been a size 16 for so many years [12-18] and now I'm 51 on my way to being 52 if the Lord allows that I want to look different physically. In a good way...
On the inside my numbers are great, according to my doctor, if I could stack them up and wear them on the outside, I'd probably look sensational.
But I want my back side [broadside], thighs, and breasts to look smaller. Is that so wrong?
1. To be healthier, get my cholesterol numbers lower.
2. To feel better about my self and gain more self-confidence.
3. To have more clothes to wear (most of my clothes no longer fit me)
4. To be able to walk up a few flights of stairs and not have to catch my breath.
5. To live longer.
1. Turned fifty in October and the ol' chassie started kicking - high cholesterol, fatigue, sleep problems, aches and pains. Got to get my health under control.
2. I want to feel good about my body and feel comfortable in my body. This weight is wearing me out with the fatigue and aches/pains.
3. I want a new wardrobe but don't want to buy big girl clothes any more. I have been wearing hand me downs (ups?) for the past two years from a friend who lost over 100 lbs after stomache stapling.
4. I have trouble sleeping. My oldest brother has Sleep Apnea related to his obesity and I don't want to go down that path - or at least limit the journey.
5. To be able to move, walk, garden, play without being restricted because I am so big.
Ok I'll give it a try:
1. Most importantly, I got scared for my health. At 58 things start to go wrong, already have arthritis in my knees. Cholesterol, wasn't good a few years ago and haven't had it checked since. Can't ignore the problems anymore.
2. Snoring is a problem for me (and my husband). If I can loose weight I believe it will help.
3. Vanity! Yes, I'm tired of being overweight-I want to look good and want my husband to think I look good (altho he would never say any different, I can tell). But mostly for ME. It's time for ME.
Those were easy, now I have to think.
4. I want to enjoy life when we retire-- be active, ride motorcycles, golf, walk, just take time for us and not be huffing and puffing.
I guess this will have to do for now.
Love your top 3, Holly. They were exactly mine when I quit smoking about 10 years ago --- and picked up walking & eventually running. Now, with running a part of my past (except for a few miles a week), I'm biking, but the pounds started coming back ... and I've heard from my wife that I'm snoring again some times. (If she tells me "so times," that really means most every night.) So --
2. end the snoring
3. I'll go with vanity. Would love to tuck in my shirts again -- all the time -- and not use the "tails" to hide my handles.
4. Keep up with the grandkids. With the oldest almost 5, we run together a lot, kicking balls, playing tag, etc. -- and I want to keep the upper hand as long as I can!
5. So when I walk in to my next physical my doctor doesn't write "overweight" on my chart! And when the bloodwork numbers come in, they will all be in safe/good or "much improved" ranges.
Grandpa D (aka Chris)
1. Living for more than a few more years
2. To be able to try on clothes in the dressing room without crying.
3. So that I can get off the Obese List...at the doctors office.....ALL OF THEM
4. To enjoy a night on the town with my four daughters
5. To be able to walk up the stairs without huffing and puffing.
As I read these posts, I hear almost all are concerned with their health-in one way or another. I find it's a good motivator to think again of the reasons I started to loose weight in the beginning. Makes me know I'm on the right track and doing something good for my body. We all have slip ups every now and then-in weight loss, in life in general. But maybe we can all help each other keep our eyes on the end goal--living a happy and healthy life!! Holly
5 reasons for losing weight
1. To take control of my life.
That's my main reason!
1. To look better - firm and fit.
2. To be energetic - to hike and bike.
3. To be confident - to start a new job.
4. To buy stylish clothes - to get over the American Mom look.
5. To be younger - in mind as well as body.
1. So I can sto taking 2 blood pressure pills.
2. So people will (espcially women) stop looking at my husband and I wondering what he's doing with me.
3. So my children will be able to hug me with their arms all the way around me like they did when they were little.
4. So I won't be ashamed when we go on vacations and will actually wear a swimsuit and swim in the pool or ocean.
5. So I can feel good in my skin again.
1. Mental health - Until I turned 50 I was always around 120- 140 - now I still can't wrap my head around this image I see in the mirror. I easily gained 10-15 lbs/year and didn't realize it.
2. Obviously physical health- it's hard to breathe, walk up and down steps, even take out the trash -yucch! I find my knees hurt, and my back hurts much more now.
3. Appearance - I feel like I look a lot older than I am, and there is a lot of vanity involved in that! I'd like to like what I see in the mirror.
4. Shopping! - I hate the old potato sack fashion that passes as "plus" size style. I still can't judge if a garment fits me by holding it up on the hanger. I'm always surprised when I get to the fitting room, and can't get it up past my thighs!
5. Energy - If I moved more, I would probably feel like moving more, and then I would move more... what a viscious circle !
1. I'm a singer and I need to be able to breathe better (hold a note longer)
2. So I don't have to wear "fat clothes." (I'm right at the size where everything is shapeless and baggy)
3. To feel more attractive (I'm single but not dead)
4. I would like to see in the mirror the person I see in my head
5. I want to be able to hike long, long distances. The less weight around my middle, the more weight I can carry on my back (and that breathing thing comes into play, too)
1. To feel more energetic and fuller of life (not fat). I don't have a lot of weight to lose ( need to get to 124 lbs from 142) but what I have is causing health issues like borderline diabetes and high cholesterol.
2. To ensure I don't have the health issues my parents had / have.
3. To enable me to lead a long, healthy and active remainder of my life and die fast at an old age (not very slow like my dad or much too early at 58 like my mum).
4. To satisfy my curiosity about my children's future - I'm a very inquisitive person and would love to know how they're going to be when they become their own people. To see grandchildren would be fantastic.
5. To remain a faithful lifelong companion to my husband - I would be unbelievably sad at the thought of him being alone and feel it's in my power at the moment to affect my health and life expectancy
That's my top 5 reasons off the top of my head.
Good luck to you all with your healthy eating and lifestyle changes,
The one reason I did not see listed that I would like to add:
I want to be acknowledged for my professionalism at work and we all know that overweight people are not viewed as efficiently, organized and productive professionals because our appearances say differently.
Read the article in Wallstreet Journal posted in June. Of course my brother shared it with me. He means well knowing I am frustrated with the fact that I am not being acknowledged at work.
I used to be a body builder BC (before children). However, after giving birth it was impossible to get in the gym. Now 50 lbs over weight, CC has proven to me where all my calories are coming from and of course it is not from 75% vegetables I should be eating. Ladies it is SUGAR!!! That boogyman is everywhere!!
Chase the grandkids more without getting OOB
I want my little person back, I know you're in there
better fit to clothes
Did I say better health!!!