Brunch and Be Healthy
When I say Brunch, are you envisioning an endless brunch buffet, loaded with high calorie temptations in a confusing array? Erase that picture from your mind and get ready to prepare a beautiful brunch for guests. Brunch is the perfect meal for entertaining. It's best to have a theme to the meal instead of a confused offering of both breakfast and lunch options. We'll tell you how to serve a meal of waffles that will please everyone. So toss that tired quiche, deep six the soggy French toast and dump the little sausages. Get ready for waffles that are both light and satisfying.
Get out the waffle iron and put it right on the table. Prepare a number of nice dishes to top the waffles, and a side dish or two as well. You can serve sweet or savory toppings, or both.
Waffles can be ultra high calorie or light, and you can go either way. If you are combining two meals (or a meal and a snack) into one, you can, perhaps, afford make it higher calorie. If you feel you need to keep everything as low calorie as possible, choose a waffle recipe that suits. You can even use frozen flax seed waffles, choosing from the many really good brands available, but it won't be nearly as much fun.
Have whatever you wish to top the waffles to order. This can be anything from real maple syrup to fruit preserves. Set out a bowl of granola for those who like crunch, yogurt to satisfy that creamy craving, and perhaps some nuts, such as pecans. Sliced fresh fruits of the season are always welcome. We have a recipe for a light as air whipped topping too.
First the waffles - we give you three different recipes:
- Belgian Waffles - The traditional, raised yeast batter, crunchy on the outside and light and airy on the inside. High in calories, but some would say worth it.
- Potato and Chive Waffles - A savory and on the light side and just right for topping with cheese or whatever you like. This would be perfect with creamed chicken or creamed, chipped dried beef. Waffles with chicken is a classic American dish.
And now, some toppings:
- Light as Air Whipped Topping - made from non fat dry milk powder, whipped high and light, it's a fresh, simple replacement for whipped cream. Having all the ingredients icy cold aids in the whipping process.
- Mixed Berry Sauce - Absolutely lovely, and low in calories too. It uses frozen berries and can be made in advance and served warm or cold. The hint of rum is what makes it special.
- Cheezy Creamed Chicken - It tastes rich and sinful but is low in calories. It uses low fat shredded cheese, fat free milk, and no added fat at all. It's pretty too, with little flecks of red bell pepper.
The side effects of allergy medications keep some people from using them. Natural remedies can be a great alternative, but some are more effective than others.