What equipment do I need for a home gym?
Asked by homegirl47 on Oct 01, 2008
I would like to create a home gym in my basement (with low ceilings) what equipment should I include?
Home gyms can save you lots of time and money. You need equipment to meet your requirements for both cardiovascular and strength-training exercise. Start with these basic pieces:
- Exercise mat to cushion your joints for floor exercises
- TV/DVD for workout videos and to watch when working out
- Mirror to check your form
- Dumbbell set and workbench for training every muscle group
- Chin up bar to target your upper body and abdominals
- Fitness ball to work you core muscles
- Rowing machine for a cardio workout and to work the muscles of the core, arms and legs
- Stationary bike for low-impact cardio and to work your quad muscles
- Step bench for a cardio routine
Read about setting up a home gym from the Guide to Sports Medicine at About.com.