Every Pound Lost Is a Pound of Confidence Gained
Facing a divorce, Jensenjeni was determined to rediscover her life and gain all her lost self-confidence back. She has successfully lost 74 lbs and loves herself again.
She contacted us through our Share Your Story feature, and provided the following answers to our questionnaire.
1. What prompted you to begin this weight loss journey? Did you have an "Aha!" moment?
I had found myself at a crossroads in my life. I was facing a divorce after 15 years of marriage and felt hopeless about my life and who I was. I thought maybe I could focus the pain on something positive and started to reinvent myself.
2. What other "diets" (programs, products, plans, or services) had you tried in the past?
I have tried Low Carb (Atkin's, South Beach, Carbohydrate Addicts). I tried diet pills, weight loss drinks, Sensa, and starvation.
3. Please describe how you reached your weight loss goal. What changes did you make to your usual diet, activity, lifestyle, and attitude? Did you implement any other strategies besides Calorie Count? What was the most important change?
I changed everything about myself. My attitude, my diet and my activities. I joined the YMCA and started exercising 4 days a week. I no longer ate fast food or anything that you cooked out of a box. I added a lot of fresh fruit, vegetables, and lean proteins. After a month I started running. That is when the weight really started to fall off.
4. Please describe how Calorie Count was instrumental to your weight loss.
I found Calorie Count right out the gate. I used all the tools available to me. I counted everything I consumed. It has been my number one tool for success.
5. What difficulties did you experience losing weight?
Between 180-175 lbs I hit a plateau. I stayed at that weight for almost 6 months or more. I still continued to run and eat right but my body had regulated itself and was comfortable at that weight. But I wasn't. I turned to the forums and asked for help. I learned a lot about HIIT. The was the key that helped me break through.
6. How long did it take you to see results? When did you realize that you were a success?
I noticed results after the first month. I consistently lost 10 lbs a month for the first 5 months.
7. How do you prevent relapse?
I don't ever consider relapsing an option. This has been a life changing event for me. I am no longer insecure about myself and how I look. I keep inspirational quotes on my mirror to remind me of my journey. My favorite quote came from my 19 year old son, "Every pound lost is a pound of confidence gained" - smart kid!
8. How has your life changed now that you've lost weight?
Well, I love myself again. I am proof to myself that I can do anything! I have confidence that I never knew I had. I look and feel better at 38 than I did at 28.
9. How long have you maintained your current weight?
One year approximately. I am still working on the last 20 lbs. I find that this last 20 lbs is proving to be the most difficult.
10. What five tips do you have for other dieters?
- Say it to yourself and mean it, "I Love You!"
- Never let the difficult days detour you from your goal.
- Exercise, Exercise, Exercise.
- Reward yourself, just not with food.
- Keep counting and let the math do the work.
If you would like us to feature your success story, you can submit it here. The most insightful stories will be featured on this blog and in the weekly "Success Stories" newsletter.
What you eat can have a direct effect on your skin if you're struggling with psoriasis. See what to shop for.