Exercise Changed My Life
Laurajayneparson achieved her weight loss primarily through exercise and incorporating healthy eating. Her story shows the benefits of exercising while losing weight. At her heaviest, 7 years ago, she weighed 235lbs. She’s now maintaining her current weight of 110lbs.
She contacted us through our Share Your Story feature and provided the following answers to our questionnaire.
1. What made you decide to lose weight this time?
I had always felt like my weight did not affect my life, negatively or positively. However, one night when I went to bed at 8 pm, for no other reason than the fact that I had nothing else to do, I realized that I was letting my weight affect my life! I never left my house, except for school and work! That night I got out of bed, put on a pair of tennis shoes and went to the gym in my apartment complex! I worked out for 45 minutes that night, and have not missed more than a week of regular exercise since!
2. What other "diets" (programs, products, plans, or services) had you tried in the past?
I had tried Slim Fast and Weight Watchers - for me, losing weight was about exercise, not about monitoring and restricting what I ate! Anything that made me think more about food, was a failed program for me.
3. What changes did you make to your usual diet, activity, lifestyle, and attitude?
Initially, I just started with activity. I exercised every day for at least 45 minutes. I also cut out diet soda, which meant that I increased my water intake by at least three times! After three years I stopped losing weight, so I started monitoring my diet more carefully, and lost the remaining 40 pounds! I had and have the attitude that if I miss too many workouts I will never go back to the gym - that keeps me going to the gym every day, because I never want to be that unhealthy, overweight person again!
4. How did Calorie Count help you to lose weight?
Once I added the dietary element to my healthy lifestyle, Calorie Count became an integral part of that, helping me to estimate the caloric content of my home cooked meals, and helping me to make healthy choices when I am eating out! Additionally, the blogs are motivating, and help me to feel like I am a part of a healthy community!
5. What was most challenging about losing weight?
Staying motivated! For the first three months I did not lose a single pound, because I only focused on exercise and did not change my eating habits! I had to realize that exercise is great for being more healthy overall, but that for weight loss I had to do more!
6. How long did it take you to see results?
At least three months, but I started feeling better almost immediately!
7. When did you realize that you were a success?
Just this year, when I was waited on by a college boyfriend and he did not recognize me!
8. How do you prevent relapse?
I make sure that I exercise, in some way, every day. I also try to keep everything in perspective - I might not always make the healthiest eating choices, but one bad choice, meal, or day does not mean that I will gain all of my weight back!
9. How has your life changed now that you've lost weight?
I am happier, healthier, and more motivated in every aspect of my life. I am more confident socially, and at work, where I believe that I can and will succeed!
10. What five tips do you have for other dieters?
- Get some activity every day.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water every day!
- Have a "cheat" day, so that you do not feel deprived during the rest of the week.
- Publish your weight loss goals publicly, so that you have accountability and support.
- Cut yourself some slack - If you misstep, diet-wise, don't stress or give up! Simply resolve to do better on the next meal or day. One meal will not derail an entire healthy diet or lifestyle.
If you would like us to feature your success story, you can submit it here. The most insightful stories will be featured on this blog and in the weekly "Success Stories" newsletter.