Looking for examples of good food that fills you up with low calories. I am a carb junkie and really trying to loose weight.
Not really low on calories, but I eat peanuts or mixed nuts (about 2 oz). It's not alot but it does hold you over until your next meal. Or, sometimes I eat 1 or 2 of those string cheese sticks. Tuna fish or sardines. Eggs(fried,omelet, hard boiled etc.). Chicken strips (usually grilled), but there really isn't much batter on some of the fried ones, depending on where you get them. Raw veggies and ranch dressing. If you crave sweets, I found that sugar free jello really does taste pretty good. And as much as I hate to say it, DRINK LOTS OF WATER. It helps keep you full. I don't like water that much, so I drink flavored waters (about every other bottle) to break the monotiny, but remember they need to be sugar free. I also find that chewing gum helps. I did a low carb diet, and started working out (cardio & strength training) regularly back in Sept. I have lost 50lbs. As for the low carb, I was strict for the first 2 wks, and then started gradually eating more of them. The real key is to eat about every 3-4 hrs in portions no bigger than your fist. I found I could eat almost anything as long as the portions were small. And with low carb you are generally eating more fat and calories, but the extra protein really kick starts the weight loss. By doing the low carb you can lose 10lbs or more in the first 2 wks. I like to do the 2 wk low carb evry once in a while, because it tends to get you off the weight loss plateau. Well, Good Luck! I hope this helps
Wheat Germ. I keep mentioning this stuff in posts but no one ever seems to see it..LOL
It has protein, fiber, complex carbs (the good kind), and healthy fats. Since it has a lot of fiber in it, you don't have to eat that much to get full off it. One serving (2 Tablespoons) is 50 calories. So measure out 5 servings worth into a bowl. Then add a cup of milk. Under 400 calories, 30 grams of protein, 5 grams of healthy fats, and plenty of fiber.
- shredded cabbage (100) + colored bell pepper (45) + cucumber (30) + nonfat dressing (90) = 265 calories
- 6 tbs. white popcorn (220) + 4 teaspoons sunflower oil (144) = 364 calories and makes 4 quarts popped corn
- 6 egg whites with garlic, black pepper, and evoo spray (135) + 4 slices whole wheat light bread toast (180) = 315 calories
- 2 4 oz. wild salmon fillets (200) + garlic, black pepper (or whatever spices) and 1 tb. evoo (120) = 320 calories
- 2 sliced, baked apples (350 ℉ -- 30 minutes) such as gala or braeburn (200) + 2 tbs. of honey or maple syrup (100) + cinnamon (5) = 305 calories
- 2 Flatout light whole wheat wraps (180) with 1 can chunk light tuna in water (100) + 2 tbs. light Miracle Whip (40) or 4 tbs. salsa = 320 calories
- 16 oz. of no-salt V-8 juice (100) + 5 diced stalks of celery (50) + 8 oz. diced carrots or baby carrots (85) + 1/2 diced onion (35) + 1 diced bell pepper (45) + spices = 315 calories (makes a nice veggie soup)
- 1 4 oz. patty of lean ground beef, bison, or elk (160) + 1 thin light whole wheat bun (100) + ketchup, mustard, whatever (50) = 310 calories
- 1 cup strawberries (fresh -- or frozen unsweetened) (50- 75) + 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen unsweetened) (80) + 1 cup peaches, fresh if possible (otherwise, canned in light syrup) (70 - 160) + 1 cup apple or white grape juice (120) = 300 - 400 calories, depending on ingredients and how much of each (an absolutely great fruit smoothie) Bananas, honey, etc could be used, too.
12 oz mixed greens (1 bag) 60 calories and 3 oz chicken breast 110 calories and 2 T light italian dressing 20 calories= 190 calories
Eggs, if you want really low-cal, just eat egg whites. I think its the protein that really fills me up. I eat them almost daily now. And I love them. Fills me up so much more than a bagel or cereal, and they have more taste than some veggies. You can mix some veggies in for a really good meal. I swear by them though, sometimes I'm not hungry for hours after I eat eggs. I eat the yoke too b/c I usually only have 1/2 so I don't think it's a big deal. Even with the yokes, only about 140 calories.
Steamfresh veggies! Just throw a bag in the microwave and VOILA... I just ate a bag of the mixed veggies! I'm about to eat some of the greenbeans for my afternoon snack. Just sprinkled with a little bit of pepper. :-) YUM