Foods
Moderators: chrissy1988, sun123


Protein bars before or after workout?


Quote  |  Reply

I was just wondering what you guys thought about this.  Is it better to eat protein bars before or after workouts?  It seems that it says you should eat high caloric foods after workouts because your metabolism is working at a higher level after workouts from what I've googled.

9 Replies (last)

From what I've experienced it's better to eat a protein bar before the workout.  There are carbohydrates to keep you going, and because protein takes a long time to digest, after your workout it'll only be beginning to absorb into your system.  If you want a post-workout snack, I would suggest some kind of protein shake that digests faster, and some kind of quick absorb carbohdyrate.

After. That's my personal preference as I don't like to work out with anything in my stomach. But there is science to back it up.

The Brain and central nervous system require 66% of your body's glycogen to function properly leaving muscles & everybody else with 34%. After a good workout Everybody's glycogen should just about be gone, and muscles are already in fat burning mode. The brain is a glycogen hog and wants its share of glycogen right off the top and will first start robbing other tissues of their glycogen. When it gets to the muscles, too late its all gone.

So then the brain says, "Gimme that protein and I'll make glycogen outta that!"
Muscles: "Hey! I need that protein."
Brain: "If you don't shut up and gimme that m@#$% f*&()^ protein, I'll shut this whole place down! Savvy?"
Muscles: "Oh alright".

You probably say,"Well I should eat before, so this conversation doesn't happen." Maybe [not]. Depends on how soon you want the muscles to go into fat burning mode. If they have a really big supply of glycogen from the sugar from that bar or other meal, their preference is to burn that first ... then burn fat.

If you eat the bar after the workout. Brain gets satisfied 1st; everybody gets their glycogen next; muscles have burned more fat, and get to keep their protein and get more in order to build more.

I hope it was entertaining as well as informative.

 

I like them for after. Personal preference.

It really doesn't matter. Either is fine, or you could replace the protein bar with real food as well.

#5  
Quote  |  Reply
Original Post by s1jj11n:

After. That's my personal preference as I don't like to work out with anything in my stomach. But there is science to back it up.

The Brain and central nervous system require 66% of your body's glycogen to function properly leaving muscles & everybody else with 34%. After a good workout Everybody's glycogen should just about be gone, and muscles are already in fat burning mode. The brain is a glycogen hog and wants its share of glycogen right off the top and will first start robbing other tissues of their glycogen. When it gets to the muscles, too late its all gone.

So then the brain says, "Gimme that protein and I'll make glycogen outta that!"
Muscles: "Hey! I need that protein."
Brain: "If you don't shut up and gimme that m@#$% f*&()^ protein, I'll shut this whole place down! Savvy?"
Muscles: "Oh alright".

You probably say,"Well I should eat before, so this conversation doesn't happen." Maybe [not]. Depends on how soon you want the muscles to go into fat burning mode. If they have a really big supply of glycogen from the sugar from that bar or other meal, their preference is to burn that first ... then burn fat.

If you eat the bar after the workout. Brain gets satisfied 1st; everybody gets their glycogen next; muscles have burned more fat, and get to keep their protein and get more in order to build more.

I hope it was entertaining as well as informative.

 

Guess I should've said I'm in weight loss mode right now probably for another two months before I concentrate on strength training more too.  So what you're saying to burn more fat it would be better to eat them afterwards?  I've been eating after the workouts anyways lol.

 

Ajara, I eat a snack of fruit or something with the protein bar after my workouts during lunch too.

Original Post by ajaro:

It really doesn't matter. Either is fine, or you could replace the protein bar with real food as well.

Did you miss this post? It really doesn't matter. Eating "something" post workout can help people with recovery, and having "something" in your system (small to large, depending on how soon before you workout) can help give people sustained energy, but beyond that its personal preference.

Original Post by jbball360:

 So what you're saying to burn more fat it would be better to eat them afterwards?   

 Yes, that's what I believe.

But, if you were a professional athlete like a runner with very low body fat, it makes more sense to carb-load on the front end [the day before the event].

I'm in fat burning mode too, but you gotta do strength also. The more muscle you have, the more calories they'll burn [even during down-time]. I usually eat half the bar with a piece of fruit [after the workout for breakfast] just so I can get less calories plus fiber. My personal theory is to satisfy the brain, but keep the muscles burning as much fat as possible during the "afterburn effect". I get most of my protein at lunch and some at dinner.

But none of us are professional athletes to begin with, and what matters most is total 24 hour calorie burn not if you happen to burn more after your workout (the afterburn effect, by the way, is pretty small and negligible)

Perhaps my choice of words was bad. I did mean to convey the thought of most fat burned during the workout and for the rest of the day.

9 Replies
Recent Blog Post
Jamie knew that to lose weight and make a permanent change in her life, she had to take the extra steps. This meant not just working out, but eating right, and planning ahead. At first, she struggled with the new adjustments, but once she got the hang of it, she started to see real results. Now, at over 80 lbs. lost, and a year maintaining, Jamie feels more like herself than ever before.

Continue reading...