Health & Support
Moderators: nycgirl, autopilotfrank193, bierorama, ksylvan, peaches0405

I just keep EATING!?

Quote  |  Reply

OK here I am again, but on the opposite side of my old problem.

Stats: 14, 5'6, 125-130 pounds (I look the same as I did when I was 116...so) EDNOS, no period, exercise : 30 minutes movement training, 2 hours basketball, 1 hour lifting at school, then 30 minutes lifting at the gym. On speed days I have an hour of speed training.

I just keep eating! And it's getting worse! Like spoonfuls of pb, pizza, donuts, etc. I just ate 1 piece of pizza, half a turkey sub, and a donut! FOr breakfast I had a full bowl of cereals, globs of pb, and milk!! LAst night I ate mozerella sticks, fries, and a donut!!! Why do I keep overeating? For all you guys who know what I've been through w/ ed, can you tell me why? I guess it's not binging, but idk? Like during the week I eat a small breakfast and lunch, trying to "undo" the day and because im not hungry... but sometimes when I get home I go crazy with peanut butter! But the weekends I just eat really unhealthy!

24 Replies (last)

The problem is: you are trying to "undo" the calories you've taken in days before by under-eating the other days. Your body is going to crave the calories that you denied it. Don't under-eat, even if your appetite tells you to.

Zombers- You're young, and SUPER active. Has it occurred to you that you may not be 'overeating' but finally eating enough to support the activity you do?

There are times when the food you ate seems like a lot, when really.. It's a NORMAL amount to support yourself on. I experienced the exact same thing yesterday. I had a TON of food that I wouldn't normally eat all in the same day.. Muffins, poptarts, Dominos Pizza slices, Pretzel M&Ms, Peanut Butter, Cereal, etc etc. It wasn't a binge, I just wanted it. When I logged it, it came out to my maintenance number for the day, exactly. I felt like I had overeaten, when really.. I ate enough to support a nice 7-mile walk. 

Anyway, the point of this is: It may not be that much. And even if you've gone over, it is your body's way of telling you that it needs more to survive. Feed your hunger. 

Original Post by uniquelypaige:

Zombers- You're young, and SUPER active. Has it occurred to you that you may not be 'overeating' but finally eating enough to support the activity you do?

There are times when the food you ate seems like a lot, when really.. It's a NORMAL amount to support yourself on. I experienced the exact same thing yesterday. I had a TON of food that I wouldn't normally eat all in the same day.. Muffins, poptarts, Dominos Pizza slices, Pretzel M&Ms, Peanut Butter, Cereal, etc etc. It wasn't a binge, I just wanted it. When I logged it, it came out to my maintenance number for the day, exactly. I felt like I had overeaten, when really.. I ate enough to support a nice 7-mile walk. 

Anyway, the point of this is: It may not be that much. And even if you've gone over, it is your body's way of telling you that it needs more to survive. Feed your hunger. 

this :)

YEah... I have actually. BUT sometimes I eat until my belly hurts cuz it's so good! Maybe because I restricted from yummy food so long and now I'm like MUST HOARD NEVER GONA GET IT AGAIN! kinda? I want to gain, but not fat. My goal is to weigh 140, of muscle. Then compare how I looked when I was fat at 140, and fit at 140. That's only 10 pounds.... he

To build muscle, you need to eat at a surplus.  You can do tons of exercise, but if you aren't eating enough calories, you won't gain muscle.  I used the TEE calculator to estimate how many calories you're burning per day, and it came out to about 5000!!  So I don't think you're eating too much for an active teen!  It sounds like you're doing the right things.

Zombers, with all that exercise, do not expect to be able to eat less. Your body just won't take it well. First, you're a growing teen, second, you're burning loads with all your activity. I'm 16, will go on my usual almost-daily 50 min run, and I'll come back home STARVING. I'll raid the kitchen with my sweat dripping all over the floor. You NEED food. 

But let me ask you, why do you do so much exercise in the first place? Unless you're training to become a professional athlete, 4 hours of any kind of exercise, (no matter how much you eat to make up for the calorific deficit) just sounds like too much.

I am training to become a professional basketball player and get a scholarship.

But I am eating so unhealthy? Like applejacks, pasta, and half a jar of pb? Is it ok to do? Im not really hungry but still do it sometimes.

sometimes our bodies crave things we didnt let them have before...did u restrict apple jacks, pasta, pb? Ipersonally restricted carbs, sugar and fats and that is ALL i want right now.  sometimes i have to actually remind myself there are other food groups!

I totally totally totally totally RESTRICTED carbs!!!! Should I start eating healthier? Will this have bad effects on me?

Is it bad because I am eating but I'm not hungry? I'm just...idk.

ZOMBERS LISTEN TO ME:

You keep eating because you are exercising SO much, your body needs so much fuel, and as much as you don't want to hear this, your body may want to weigh 130+ lbs.

If you aren't able to maintain your weight easily and you keep gaining, it's your bodie's way of saying 'hey, I need to weigh more than 130 to function properly and start getting a period again'

Listen to your body. Don't fight it.

Yes you are eating poorly.  Your training schedule seems great but you need to start thinking way more about what you are putting in....this will help what you get from your body and help you to achieve that scholarship!

1.  cut out the refined carbs whilte Pasta and sugary cereals-start loading up on heavy complex carbs-oatmeal, whole wheat anything.

2.  Smarten up on the quality of fat you eat-drop saturated and bring in mono-unsaturated fats-olive and vegetable oils

3.  Way more protein-the lean kind-chicken breast, fish, lean red meats-lean dairy to build muscle and strengthen bone.

4.  Piles of vegetables to get the nutrients you need.

The people who have the body composition you want are the people who are extremely disciplined in their eating.  You do need a lot of calories but a cup of peanut butter is not the right kind.  Trust me.

How is peanut butter unhealthy? lol thanks I know about how to eat, and I've eaten like that for a long time and my body still stayed the same. D:

And almost everyone there has like a perfect body... but they all eat like crap too. How is that?

Ahmmm... forget about what what said by the poster above.

Forget about how:

1- You have an ED, and the least restriction of anything can lead you down another spiral of self-imposed starvation (...not good)

2- Your body does not stop repairing itself even after you're weight-restored. (The weight is just... another number on a scale. The damage done to your cells, hormones, neurotransmitters, kidneys, etc, kinda matters more...)

You're a g*ddamn TEENAGER. What kind of teenager thinks twice about macronutrients? Macro whaaa??. If I see a teen talking about dieting it just seems sooo WRONG.

Oh, you're training to become a PRO player? Now that's cool! My brother is a pre-professional basketball player! AND HE EATS ALL THE CRAP HE WANTS. LIKEOMFG. Yet he's already met, (and even played one-on-one against and won), most professional and well-known players in my country. He thinks having three chocolate bars in a row is a satisfying pre-lunch snack. he's YOUNG and ACTIVE and HAPPY the way he's eating. He ENJOYS it.

The end.Surprised

I agree, you shouldnt restrict any type of food right now.  Your body is just screaming to feed it...not necessarily any specific macronutrients, just food.  Please listen.  you deserve a life filled with more than restriction, sadness, and hunger!

I agree to PLEASE disregard the post supporting any kind of restriction.  I imagine the poster did not realize what section they were in.  I think you are doing an amazing job of getting your calories in since you are training so heavily right now.  You need to make up for all that you are burning in addition to the calories you need to recover completely.  Even though you may feel some of your choices are "unhealthy", your body needs what it is craving right now and all the other things you eat are balancing it out!

And I think PB is an excellent choice Kiss

Original Post by zombers:

How is peanut butter unhealthy? lol thanks I know about how to eat, and I've eaten like that for a long time and my body still stayed the same. D:

And almost everyone there has like a perfect body... but they all eat like crap too. How is that?

you go zombers! stick up for yourself your completely right! :D I used to eat like a bloody horse and maintain a lovely slim figure, as do most teens. Plus, food is yum :D And most importantly, i was happy! And PB is megga healthy,,,,just thought id chuck that in there (which is btw full of mono-unsaturated fats that the poster seemed to be rambling on about *sigh*)

i shall refrain from replying to the person who posted the comment about cutting out certain foods, as i fear i may get a little angry and go against the guidelines somewhat...
But in all fairness they may not have realised the situation, but still, no person should have to obsess over food like that...and you did state that you had EDNOS...*shuts up*

Original Post by kwwild:
Trust me.

I would never trust a person who gives such horrid advice to a teenager struggling with an eating disorder.

Thank you guys this really helped me. Even though I have gained almost 20 pounds people say I don't look fatter, but stronger. I guess my size 0 pants still fit... hopefully it's muscle.I wanted to also comment that they suggest not to eat applejacks and eat whole grains... apple jacks ARE made of whole grains! Hahahah!!!!

Quick Q tho. I have been eating not that much during the week days, but a lot on the weekend. Each week I am gaining like 1-3 pounds. What is this? I am like 133 pounds!!!!

Please how is this possible?

You are eating more on the weekends because your body needs more food than what you are eating during the week.  The extra weight may be 1 pound AT MOST.., the rest is just the food sitting in your belly. Smile

Try to eat more on the week days and keep increasing your calorie goal as you are putting additional stress on your body with all of the training that you are doing.  If you keep your calories at your TEE consistently, you will notice that the weight comes slower as your body adjusts to the amount of nutrients you are giving it.

Lastly - don't freak about the weight!!!

Keep your chin up! Laughing

24 Replies (last)
Advertisement
Advertisement
Allergy Remedies
Is It Possible to Go Natural?
The side effects of allergy medications keep some people from using them. Natural remedies can be a great alternative, but some are more effective than others.