Health & Support
Moderators: bierorama, ksylvan, nycgirl, autopilotfrank193, peaches0405

How Do I...?

Quote  |  Reply

okay, I know this a very stupid question, but... How can I force myself to eat carbs. I know that it doesn't matter the amount of macronutrients I eat, but every single day I still avoid as many carbs as I can. I don't know why. I just can't get myself to eat them, and because I don't I am not able to make it to 2800 calories. What should I do?? When I do eat a lot of carbs in one meal, I like freak out and try to make sure I don't eat many through out the day. I freaked out for my 60g of carbs in my cereal the other day. I don't know how to make myself eat them and be okay with them. I need help! : (((((

Edited Feb 12 2012 04:54 by autopilotfrank193
Reason: Moved to "Health & Support" more appropriate for topic
6 Replies (last)

Definitely not a stupid question:) But there's really no easy answer. For me, I had to force myself to just not think. To literally not think about what I was eating and just eat. Once you get through it a few times, it gets easier. I had a hard time to get my calories up because I was afraid of anything, nonorganic/unnatural. But since healthy food is expensive, I had to force myself to eat cheap foods even if they're not all completely healthy. Carbs are good, especially in recovery. You just have to concentrate on the big picture, which is recovery and tell yourself that food is your medicine.

Carbs do actually have a purpose in your diet - you need them 

I used to barely eat any and i had some issues with my liver on my blood work. Nothing serious (im sure it could have been given enough time) but basically my body had gone to the glycogen stores in my liver too many times because there wasnt enough quick energy for it to get and it wore my liver out. 

Honestly, they are not going to do you any harm, they arent some big bad evil food. Just keep trying and it will get easier and less scary when you eat them :)

Quote  |  Reply

Thank you for the replies. I hope that I can really do this and start eating them. Because I find it so hard to gain weight without them. 

So is there no limit to the carbs? Like, can I have too much? 

Obviously you need protein and fat too so if carbs are making up like 70% of your diet, you would be lacking in the others. Fats also make it easiest to gain weight since they are calorie dense (9 calories per gram compared to 4 for carbs/protein)

Try and get carbs to about 40-60% thats where i aim but i dont worry myself too much over the exacts. I dont log most days so i dont really know but when i do log thats where it comes out. And keep protein/fat at about 20/30% each. Protein is actually the main thing that you can have too much of - excess protein can be poisonous.. i really worry when people eat like 70% protein thinking they will never gain any fat and it is the healthiest way to live, its actually really dangerous. (plus you gain fat from excess calories not from eating fat, your body will lay down whatever it needs to survive) 

Quote  |  Reply
Original Post by annabel95:

Obviously you need protein and fat too so if carbs are making up like 70% of your diet, you would be lacking in the others. Fats also make it easiest to gain weight since they are calorie dense (9 calories per gram compared to 4 for carbs/protein)

Try and get carbs to about 40-60% thats where i aim but i dont worry myself too much over the exacts. I dont log most days so i dont really know but when i do log thats where it comes out. And keep protein/fat at about 20/30% each. Protein is actually the main thing that you can have too much of - excess protein can be poisonous.. i really worry when people eat like 70% protein thinking they will never gain any fat and it is the healthiest way to live, its actually really dangerous. (plus you gain fat from excess calories not from eating fat, your body will lay down whatever it needs to survive) 

Really? Protein is poisonous? 

So me eating extra protein won't aid in me building more muscle then fat? I thought that people said when you gain weight you should eat a lot of protein.

In too large quantities yes.. When you gain weight it is because of eating more than you burn, then your body will lay down fat if it needs, muscle if you build it and eat sufficient protein and whatever else. 

6 Replies
Advertisement
Advertisement