Health & Support
Moderators: autopilotfrank193, bierorama, ksylvan, nycgirl, peaches0405


HELP!!! I just ate maggots!!!


Quote  |  Reply

Okay, so recovering from my horrific weekend of bbqs and beer while camping, I raided my old stash of snack food in my drawer at work.  I came across some raisins, and not thinking in the least about how old they were, I started eating them. I noticed right away that they were a little dry and dusty, but again, didn't think too much of it.  About halfway through my little box, I discovered some little squirmy maggots in my raisins.  I'm sure I ingested at least one of the little buggers!  Anyone know if this will make me sick? Obviously I threw out the rest of the box!

24 Replies (last)

yuck.  but no, it won't make you sick.  you'll just digest the little wrigglers.

I once ate termites.  Were were in a motel room in vegas and did not have the light on.  Starting eating a dessert we brought back from the resturant and it tasted funny.  turned on the lights, ran into the bathroom, spit it out and brushed my teeth for about ten minutes.

you'll live.

Oh dear. You've made ME sick.



I agree with pgeorgian. You're fine... uuggh.

Ew!  Just the title of this tread makes me nauseous!  If you are worried about it you could always call poison control and ask them.  (I used to work at a nurse triage call line and we'd conference in with poison control calls quite often, trust me - you wouldn't be the first person calling about ingesting live things!)

protein! >_>

scusting............................eeeeeeeew wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

You probably won't get sick, as disgusting as it sounds, meal worms and insects of that nature are actually high in protein (No lies). Though the experience is traumatic and may cause you to feel queasy just with the thought, the actual bugger itself will not cause you to become ill.

Just be sure to check expiration dates next time. :)

a) that's GROSS! b) you're not going to die from it... you don't want to know some of the things that get into the food supply - just look on it as added protein :P

haha. this is a great thread. no you'll be fine though that is pretty gross. think about it this way, do you eat hot dogs? because i guarantee there is worse ingredients in those things and in all ground, processed meats.

 ...

I'd have fainted, but that's just me. Maggots make me vomit/collapse after I found my rabbit infested with a case of fly strike. Hrrrgh.

I second when_I_fly_and_look_down. And the general concensus of "gross".

Haha my mother did this while she was pregnant. She was CRAVING raisins and was sitting in the dark eating them when my dad flipped on the light. Apparently the box was filled with them!

She was fine but my brother seems a little.. off. ;D lol

So I wonder what the nutrition info is on he little buggers Laughing

 

Aaron

it does sound gross... but then again, check out this article.

what kind of container were they in??? and how old were they?  I have some raisins that im scared to eat now lol

Ewww!  My question is--how in the world did those little buggers get into the raisin box?  Now you're making me want to check the food in my pantry just to be on the safe side...

I wonder how many calories are in maggots :P.

Original Post by tahitisweetie123:

Ewww!  My question is--how in the world did those little buggers get into the raisin box?  Now you're making me want to check the food in my pantry just to be on the safe side...

 I once opened a sealed [never-opened] bag of pancake mix that had been sitting in our pantry for a few months, only to pour it in a bowl and find the mix INFESTED with maggots! I didn't have time to inspect the bag [I ran to my dad screaming, lol] but I'm assuming some kind of.. something chewed its way in through a tiny hole. ughhh horrifying.

still, great source of protein (:

Ew, sounds like the stuff nightmares and horror movies are made of. 

However, if it were me it'd be a long time before I could eat raisins again, fresh or not.

Safiyah

Revolution: I was asked to clean out my neighbour's bin with my sister not long after seeing my old rabbit infested with maggots. The cleaning wasn't too shabby a request; I was about 12 at the time, and was going to be paid ~£80 for it. Except that I opened the bin - one that was the same height as me (I was about... 5'7? Yes, I was a freakishly tall child) - full of maggots because something in the bin had attracted them.

Now, I never eat rabbit, but after the bin incident on top of that... I'm actually -scared- of maggots. Blegh.

And I still don't like to open wheelie bins without being at arm's length. D;

skinnyogi - at least I'm not the only one who's done this!!! makes me feel a little better!
whatever07-they were in a cardboard raisin box in a sealed ziplock bag...but they were probably a good 8 months old or so, and weren't in the sealed bag the whole time...so probably try to throw out after a couple months?

I'm naturally not a very squeamish person...in fact I went to two of the people in the office and somewhat made a joke out of it..."note to self...do not eat old raisins"
I didn't think I would really get sick from them, but figured I'd get some feedback. I haven't felt any different than normal Laughing so things can't be that bad. Have a doctor's appointment already on friday, and I'll run it by her then just to be sure.
Thanks for all the feedback you guys!

24 Replies (last)
Recent Blog Post
Making breakfast fun is a great way to start the day. And knowing you can have two bacon-y b-fast treats for less than 200 calories will REALLY put a smile on your face.  

Continue reading...