Health & Support
Moderators: autopilotfrank193, bierorama, ksylvan, nycgirl, peaches0405


Is it possible to get poisoned from chicken that's been properly cooked?


Quote  |  Reply
I got sick a couple of days ago, and it definitely was not a virus, so I suspect it must have been food poisoning. I tried to think back to the night before... and the chicken I had that night was very well cooked - I hate raw meat, so I wouldn't eat it! So I am wondering, could it still have been that chicken that made me sick? Are there any other factors that can account for poisoning besides the chicken's "doneness", to make up a word? ...
19 Replies (last)

Was it in a restaurant?  Even if the chicken is fully cooked, it also depends on how it was being handled by whomever cooked it.  A fully cooked chicken breast can still be contaminated with salmonella if the cook didn't wash their hands.  Also, there are many other kinds of bacteria that get into food besides salmonella which can survive the cooking process.

Also, are you sure it was just the chicken?  What else did you have to eat?

I just cooked it myself in the oven...

I washed my hands, and it was a clean environment and everything.

Did you wash your hands after you touched the pre-cooked chicken?

What else did you have to eat with the chicken?

This was like four days ago... and the reason I thought it was the chicken was because I don't remember eating anything else that could have caused it...

I think boiled broccoli with pasta sauce and frozen yogurt.

If you had food poisoning...you would definitely know it.

Food poisoning can incapacitate you like nothing else.  Usually lasts for about 48 hours.  Are you sure you had food poisoning?

Are you eating chicken from just anywhere or are you eating chicken that is grain fed and free range?  Are you buying your chicken from a local farm or butcher?  If not, those are a few reasons, *if* you had food poisoning, as to why you had it. 

Well... I can't say I am positive... but I am pretty sure it was not a virus.

I am not exactly sure what the chicken ate... but I bought it at the local grocery store, and it was not organic... :/
how old was the chicken?  maybe you let it sit in the frigde too long.
It was in the fridge only for a couple of days... so that would mean less than 24 hours :/

Well, if you had food poisoning, all I can think of is that you inadvertantly introduced something to the chicken or meal by way of peparation, or the chicken breast was contaminated at the store from the get go.

But if the sick feeling only lasted a short period, some viruses do have that short of a lifespan.  My little ones had a rotovirus a couple of weeks back, and it causes vomiting for about 10 hours, a sick feeling for about 12 after that, and then recovery.

#10  
Quote  |  Reply
If you cooked it properly it's unlikely to give you food poisoning. Your dishes might have been dirtier than you thought. Or it could've just been a 24 hour bug or something.
If the chicken sat around a while after being cooked it could grow bacteria.  Other than that there could be cross contamination from something touching raw chicken (or something the chicken touched) and then touching something later that wasn't cooked or was already cooked.  Salads for example can pick up bacteria from raw meat and then since the lettuce isn't cooked you can eat some bad bacteria.
The most common cause of food poisoning is Staphylococcus aureus which 40% of the population unknowingly carries at any given time.  On their skin, in nasal passages, etc.  This could easily be on your food, dishes, etc.  This is not nearly as serious as salmonella or whatever.  Just your random general food poisoning, lol.

If the chicken was cooked within the previous hour and was not spoiled prior to cooking, it isn't likely.... but if it was sitting in a steam cabinet for any length of time, yes, it is very possible. 

Another common food poisoning these days is ecoli which can come on any agricultural food that has been contaminated with manure from irrigation, or fecal matter.  There has been much in the news in the last year of ecoli particularly from spinach and lettuce.

Thanks for your input, everyone who posted. You are probably wondering why I care so much now, almost a week later. The reason I asked was because I had frozen the rest of that chicken, and I wanted to know if it was safe to eat again. Now I am thinking that it's quite possible that all I had was the "48 hour virus" (I didn't know those existed). But in any case, I'll know for sure next time  eat that chicken =)
You should think back on what you ate earlier in the day and even the day before that. If it really was something that you ate that made you sick, it was most likely from before the dinner you had. Food-borne illnesses take at least 24- 36 hours to incubate in your body before you start to develop symptoms. It is easy to think back on the last thing that you had to eat but that is almost never the culprit.
Well I wouldn't take the risk if I were you of eating the remaining chicken. Toss it. It's just chicken and not worth another round on your stomach.

Food poisoning is pretty quick to show up.  If you were sick the following day, or longer, it was not from the chicken.

There has been huge waves of the Norwalk virus throughout the USA and Canada, particularly in schools, hospitals, cruises and other places where there is closed environment.

Norwalk virus causes viral gastroenteritis, which is also known as acute nonbacterial gastroenteritis, food poisoning, food infection, stomach flu, and winter vomiting disease. A Norwalk virus infection results in illness 24 to 48 hours after exposure, and symptoms last from 12-48 hours. Illness is characterized by the abrupt onset of vomiting and/or non-bloody diarrhea; abdominal cramps are common. 25-50% of patients report headache, nausea, malaise, myalgias and low-grade fever. It is important to note that there are other organisms such as rotaviruses which also cause viral gastroenteritis.

Wash, wash, wash your hands... and phones, and door knobs and around light switches etc. when you work in these types of environments .....

If you get a specific bacterial infection, like salmonella typhii or campylobacta (which is specific to raw chicken or its juices), then the infection is actually reasonably slow to show up (around 48 hrs). The only way to determine that is through a lab test (not pleasant!). 

I got salmonella typhii last Easter from a bad egg sandwich in a cafe. I didn't know this then, but some infections can cause terrible and devastating after affects if you happen to have the wrong genetic make up.  I now have chronic arthritis throughout my body as a result of my food poisoning.  Some people with a specific gene (HLA 27) are suseptible to this response to such infection and it can affect them for life - like me! I am now on daily medication, can't do half the physical activity I could before and am in constant pain.  All because of an egg sandwich.  The only "good thing" was a 10 kg weight loss (what is that, 20 pounds?).  You have to look on the bright side I guess.

Food safety is incredibly important to take seriously.  If in doubt, throw it out! 

You know what, maybe I will throw it out to be safe. Chicken is pretty expensive, but spontaneously getting sick like that can really mess up your day and plans. After reading your posts I realize that it's quite possible that it was a short-lasting virus, but like some of you said, it's better to be safe than sorry. Either way, I'll just convince myself it was the chicken - that way throwing it out won't feel like such a waste of money.

Thanks everyone.
19 Replies
Advertisement
Advertisement