Maintaining
Moderators: imlosingw8

So I recently got injured playing soccer and I have had to decrease my exercise because of it. Should i still be able to maintain my weight at 1800-2000 calories? I'm 18 and weight 113 and am 5'1. Any opinions/advice?
7 Replies (last)

Depends on how much you cut your activity's. I don't get much exercise and I'm taller than you 5'4" I only do less than 1200 to lose a little. If I were maintaining I would probably do just slightly o er 1200 per day. But use the profile page on this site to determine your appropriate activity level.

i would starve on 1200 calories a day i tried that once and i lost muscle and was cold all the time! but thank you i will check out the activity level on the site!:)

anyone else?

post deleted

^^ i agree as well, 1500 is usually reserved for weight loss for teens and young adults like yourself. So if anything in spite of your lack of exercise you're still growing and pretty much active so you could go ahead and maintain on at least 1800+ or so. If anything watch your trend over a two week span, if you see that you're gaining you could readjust.

Oh secondly you might loose a bit as well ( ie.water you've been holding on to) as a result of lack of exercise. I'm about your height but a bit older, when ever i tend to not exercise in the span of 3 weeks or so i experience a drop in weight but it usually stabilizes.  Rest up and good luck!

I'm 5'4 and 114 pounds, and I lose on 1800 (sedentary). I work out 3 times a week, and I'm generally on my feet often and to maintain I eat over 2000 so really, you should be fine :)

thanks for all the great replies!:)
Original Post by suzushii:

I'm 5'4 and 114 pounds, and I lose on 1800 (sedentary). I work out 3 times a week, and I'm generally on my feet often and to maintain I eat over 2000 so really, you should be fine :)

Hijacking the thread momentarily to ask a question of suzushii:
We actually have the same stats (well, almost :]). I'm nearing maintenance soon, so I've been trying to get a good, healthy perspective on what others eat to maintain to get a sort of basis (healthy- because a lot of people on this site eat low amounts to maintain :/). I really hope you don't mind the questions!
Do you mean that you lose on 1,800 without your exercise and with just being on your feet often? Or completely sedentary?
On a typical week of your 3/days of exercise, daily life, how much do you eat on average? And what do you do for exercise/daily life?
I apologize if this is nosey. :]

----------

I'm going to have to agree and say that you shouldn't reduce your calories =]. You're young, and active. I would guess that you likely could maintain on way more when you play soccer, and that 1,800-2,000 would be closer to a sedentary intake for you.. and probably more than that, honestly.
Also, if you're recovering from an injury, depending on the injury, your body's requirements might be higher anyway just out of repairs.

7 Replies
Advertisement
Advertisement
Allergy Remedies
Is It Possible to Go Natural?
The side effects of allergy medications keep some people from using them. Natural remedies can be a great alternative, but some are more effective than others.