This is a daily challenge that anyone can join! The goal is to incorporate as many healthy vegetables into your diet as possible. You can also aim for trying a new vegetable every week, or learning a new way to prepare vegetables, or just keep enjoying old favorites. Every day that you successfully "eat your veggies" .... post here AND let us know WHICH veggies you ate! (And if you come up with a neat way to cook or prepare them, feel free to share!)
A few basic rules.....
* You have to eat a "serving" of vegetable in order for it to "count". What's a serving? Well, we will leave that up to your conscience, but adding 5 raisins to your oatmeal really isn't a serving (plus raisins are a fruit, and we are doing vegetables), and adding 1 slice of tomato and a few lettuce leaves to a sandwich doesn't really seem like a "serving", either.
* Grains aren't veggies.... unless you really, really want them to be. (hee hee hee.) Seriously, rice, bulgur, oatmeal, bread .... aren't really the "veggies" that we are looking for! (But they ARE good for you, so by all means eat them!)
* Fruits aren't veggies. However, if you want to consider avocado and tomatoes as veggies, we agree. If it's a toss up, go ahead and call it a veggie.
* Potatoes count, unless they are fried. That's right, if you eat french fries or non-baked potato chips, you don't get to count them. I know, I know, this may seem unfair .... but it's the only way I can avoid fries and chips! (smile)
Come on, let's eat more veggies!!!
Reason: Locked ~ OP Request
So far today ...
* Green Beans
I am in!
canned veggies count too? I sure do like spinich-in a salad or cooked in something.
Yes, canned veggies count! And so do frozen veggies! Of course, you usually get less sodium with fresh or frozen veggies, unless you purchase the low-sodium type .... but our focus is just on eating more veggies!
(And if you have canned veggies, eat 'em! When it's time to get more, consider low sodium, fresh or frozen!)
Don't forget BEANS are veggies, too! (What a great excuse to have chili!)
1 serving of broccoli
1/2 serving carrots
1/2 serving zucchini
1/2 serving onions
1 serving Brussels sprouts (Molly, you inspired me to go buy a bag :) )
1/4 serving of corn
EDIT: Oh, and I also had some beans, lettuce, and tomato on my wrap earlier today! So I made it up to 5 a day, yay!
Oh, and salsa which i know has veggies, but I'm thinking that doesnt really count :)
I would say salsa "counts" if you eat a cup of it!
Of course, that would probably give me .... heartburn or something!
- Serving of homemade tomato-zuchinni sauce
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 carrot
- 1 cup green beans
- 2 small sweet potatoes (falling within the potato limits...)
Dinner tonight ....
* 3 servings of spinach (spinach salad)
* 1 red onion
* 2 servings of steamed broccolli
Wahoo! What a great way to start back up on C-C and get ready for a beach weekend November 1-4 :)
So far today...
Looking forward to a salad tonight... and probably some nice fresh carrot juice made with my brand new juicer!
OOo .... I love edamame!
Let us know what nifty things you make with your juicer!!!
Ooooh yay! I love getting my veggies. Although I was a little low today:
- 2/3 an avocado (a fruit, but Molly said it can count as a veg so I'm posting it)
- 1/2 of a huge acorn squash - baked and eaten plain
- Roasted red peppers
- Romaine lettuce
- Black beans (do they really count as veggies??)
Oh boy...I slacked a little today. Thanks for making me more accountable for my veggies, Molly!
today in my lunchbox...
cauliflower & broccoli
sugar snap peas
i *did* make fresh carrot juice last night. it was awesome!
ida_maes_mom, i think mushrooms count as veggies. i love 'em too. hoping to pick some up from the farmers market tomorrow... along with a whole slew of stuff to try out in my juicer - like beets!
Making a Veggie Stew tonight, with celery, carrots, turnip, potatoes, tomatoes and anything else I can find in the crisper. Fresh parsley always perks up a soup! Does that count?
This is a great way to pay attention to how many veg I'm getting.
Mushrooms ARE veggies!!! (And only 15 calories a cup!)
Beans ARE veggies!!!
Parsley is a veggie .... but you can only count it as a full serving if you have ... well, probably a cup of parsley! (But half-servings "count", too!)
Today so far ....
* 3 servings of spinach
* 1 serving of tomatoes
* 2 servings of veggies in the can of Progresso Light Veggie soup I had (only 60 calories a cup, 120 calories for the whole can! Get some!)
Lettuce, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, celery, 1/4 red bell pepper, baked potato (ketchup?)
Breakfast. Omlette with lots of MUSHROOMS
Lunch Cold tomato soup made with CANNED TOMATO< FROZEN PEAS AND CORN< ONIONS< CHAMPIGIONS
Dinner - chinese beef with 1 c veggies or more.
Usually i have carrots for snacks, but i ran out!
The side effects of allergy medications keep some people from using them. Natural remedies can be a great alternative, but some are more effective than others.