Welcome to the Wagon Jumpers weekly thread! We are a group of CC members who have identified that one of our main challenges with achieving our weight loss, maintenance or general health goals is consistency.
This thread is designed to encourage long term commitment to our goals by publicly declaring them and asking the other members of this thread to hold us accountable. The primary focus of Wagon Jumpers is not how much weight you have lost, or need to lose, but what you need to do on a daily basis to meet your long term goals.
The idea of Wagon Jumpers was to create a close community where participants could get to know each other, creating a virtual support network as they attempt long term weight management.
This is impossible with an 'always open' group as there would be too many people coming and going. For this reason we have capped group membership numbers to 25 participants.
If you would like to be a member of this group please contact our wait list manager, Anddan.
Please note: Our waiting list is always capped at just four people. If you wish to join us, send a message to our waiting list manager or one of the other Co-Moderators listed below.
There are two rules for Wagon Jumpers:
1. All members must post once per week between Sunday and Saturday.
2. All members must check the thread for members who have not posted by Saturday (a short list is posted at the end of the week) or are on the MIA list on Sunday and send them a polite and positive message to stay involved in the group and on track with their goals.
Wagon Jumpers Participants: (current member count: 25)
- Anddan (Co-Moderator)
- Benissera (Sherran)
- Bleedtoblue (Blue)
- beaverley (Bev)
- Claire314 (Claire, Co-Moderator)
- dawnstin (Dawn)
- Defrog3 (Denise)
- Feljones (Debbie)
- Figurethefat (Laura)
- gettinghealthyiam (Carolyn)
- Islandscribe (Val, Co-Moderator)
- kenright1008 (Kathy)
- Kyashiis (Kathy)
- libbymae6 (Libby Mae)
- mhNYC (Mari)
- msantos3391 (Marie)
- Ranchobernardo (John)
- Sarah_ann_artist (Sarah, Co-Moderator)
- Stephannalee (Steph)
- the_dragon (Hilary, Co-Moderator)
- twindaze (Jenny)
- tiegurl (Tierra)
Missing in action one week:
Missing in action two weeks:
Missing in action three weeks:
Missing in action four weeks & will be removed from the list if there is no contact by the end of this week: None
Wagon Jumpers on Hiatus:
Wagon Jumper threads now have a separate host for each week, as listed below:
- 1st Sunday in month: Sarah_Ann_Artist (Sarah)
- 2nd Sunday in month: Sarah_Ann_Artist (Sarah)
- 3rd Sunday in month: Claire314
- 4th Sunday in month: Islandscribe (Val)
- 5th Sunday in month: the_dragon (Hilary)
- Mid-Week Reminders and Waitlist Management: Anddan
- Vacation Cover Host: Ranchobernardo (to be contacted in advance of usual host being unavailable for their week)
- Thread Issues: If there are any issues with a thread, first contact should be the thread host for that week.
12 Week CONSISTENCY GOALS - October 16 to January 7:
By January 7, 2012 I will...
- anddan - New: Make it to the gym at least 3 days a week 9 out of 12 weeks.
- Benissera - New: Log food 5x per week 10/12 weeks. Maintenance: Do Pilates 20 mins 3x per week
- Bleedtoblue - Exercise 3/week for 9 of 12 weeks.
- beaverley - I will exercise a minimum of 3 days a week for 45 minutes.
- Claire314 - New: Spend 5 minutes/day focusing on myself and the changes I need to make to stay committed. Maintenance: Exercise 1000 mins/month.
- Defrog3 - Get to my trainer 2x/week, and go to the gym 1x/week on my own. Working out 3x/week will also be success.
- Feljones - New - Log food 5 days/week. Maintenance - 250 minutes of exercise/week.
- Figurethefat - New: drink a minimum of 85 liters of water for the 12 week period. Maintenance: Walk at least 4000 minutes.
- itsanewlifeforme - Exercise 6 times/week (4 of which must be walking)
- islandscribe - Maintenance: Exercising the equivalent of 5 days/week - catch up or double-up days count towards goal. New: Log meals 4 days/week.
- Kyashiis - New: Plan and buy my food at least a day in advance five days/week. Maintenance: Do 10 - 30 minutes of yoga six days a week for 12 weeks which includes at least ten minutes of sun salutations before noon.
- libbymae6 - Log/weigh food every day for 12 weeks.
- marmlac - I hope to improve my 5K run-time to 30 minutes by training 4 days/week for the next 12 weeks.
- mhNYC - New: Wake up at 5:30 an average of 5 days a week. Maintenance: Exercise 16 days out of every month for 30 minutes a session.
- nekko_cat - Log food & beverages 2 days/week.
- Ranchobernardo - Measure & log food 3 days/week.
- Sarah_ann_artist - New: Workout 4 days/week (2 days cardio/2 days strength) for a minimum of 30 minute sessions for 9 of 12 weeks. Maintenance: Log food 5 days/week for 10 of 12 weeks.
- Stephannalee - Stretch 6 times/week for 10 of 12 weeks.
- the_dragon - New: Log my activity 5 days/week. Maintenance: Log food 5 days/week.
- twindaze - Log food 5 days/week.
- tiegurl - New: Exercise 2 times/week. Maintenance: Log foods five day/week.
Long term goals are great, but sometimes we need just a little nudge in the right direction. Name two things that you can do between now and the end of tomorrow to help you meet your goals or help you become healthier.
Thanks for starting this weeks thread so promptly, Sarah!
- We usually watch football on Sundays. That used to mean delivery pizzas, wings, soda and sometimes cinnamon bread sticks, too. Yikes! For football viewing today, I am going to slice up some vegetables and make a healthier veggie dip with beans. I bought a pizza at the store that has fewer calories than delivery pizza. I don't feel deprived that way and I end up eating much less and well as healthier (with the veg).
- I have a rebounder (mini-trampoline) that I am going to use to do some jogging while watching football.
- 10/9: 0 days
- 10/16: 0 days
- 10/23: 0 days
- 10/30: 2 days
- 11/6: 5 days
Oh I like this topic! Sorry I was MIA last week everyone! School has been crazzzyyyy!
1.) Today I will take stretching breaks during my homework time to help relax and also to contribute to my goal of becoming more flexible
2.) Between now and the end of tomorrow, I will stay within my calorie range
Hey everyone sorry for being missing in action for such a long time! I am just so busy and finding it really hard to find time to check in!
Two things that I could do between now and the end of tomorrow to help me meet my goals or help me to become healthier is:
1. Measure my food based on serving size (I already did that today)
2. Log my food into calorie count
- 10/9: 0 days
- 10/16: 0 days
- 10/23: 0 days
- 10/30: 0 days
- 11/6: 3 days of logging 2 days of exercising (I finally did something pertaining to my goal after five weeks. I did half of my logging goal and met my exercise goal. I am so happy. It was weird it took a scale to kick me back in gear. I had gained weight but when I stepped on the scale it was back down on its own. It made me get back to my health and my lifestyle change. Woohoo).
Nekko that is a great plan. I have a quick question: How do you jog on a trampoline?
Libby Mae that's a good idea. Plus, it would probably help maintain your focus.
Welcome back Steph. Glad you had time to check in. How are things going?
It's really the same thing as jogging/running in place on the floor. The big difference is that it is low impact and easier on the joints. You can even full aerobic routines like this, although I just stick to jogging.
Oh okay. Cool
Two things that I can do between now and the end of tomorrow to help me meet my goals or help me become healthier:
1: I will not eat atleast 3 hours before bed.
2: I will try to go to bed at 10:30pm so I can get a full 7 hours of sleep.... 5:30am comes to quickily. It would be nice not to be RED-EYED and BUSHY HAIRED!
1. I will get up early enough to do a full hour of riding the stationary bike before work.
2. I will set a timer at work and get up from the computer every 30 minutes to stretch & take a lap around the office hallway. At lunch, I'll go outside, breathe some fresh air & walk for 10 minutes.
wk of 10/9, started some, but completed 0 days of logging
wk of 10/16: completed 4 days out of 7
wk of 10/23: completed 1 out of 7
wk of 10/30: completed 3 out of 7
wk of 11/6: completed 2 out of 7
Not so good but I haven't given up on my goal.
Have a great week everyone!
Stick to my calorie range
Log food right after I eat it.
Agreed, this is a nice topic, especially since my goal is now completely in the trash, between my neck problems and my broken foot. Not sure what exercises I can do now! But I can:
1) set a timer so that I take a stretch break every 15 minutes at work.
2) Continue to eat more protein.
Will check in later this week to see how it goes!
I think everyday is a challenge to eat the right things and excercise! Being mindful of my eating and making healthy food choices. Focusing on getting to the gym or at least taking a walk.
Just this morning I was thinking that I need to stop munching at night. Once I have my dinner, I will not eat anymore until the next morning. I will also go back to logging my meals, which will help me stay within my calorie limits. When I kept these two good habits, I dropped a pound per week. I need to get back on the wagon.
Goal report: still not keeping up with my goals. The gym repairs, wheather, and daylight saving time change are killing me :(.
Hee hee... I read this post and topic on Sunday morning and thought, maybe I should procrastinate on my post because I'm not ready to make a commitment to anything in the next 2 days. ;) Still not sure I'm ready... really what I should commit to is getting my reformer set up but that requires unpacking and setting up all of my office to allow for space for the reformer... and that's not going to happen in the next 2 days. So what else? Getting to bed earlier is probably the best commitment. Of course last night I went to be early, woke up at 12:30am and then didn't fall back to sleep until 3am, so a lot of good that did me! Nonetheless, that's what I'm going with. I'm going to go to bed by 10:30 the next 2 days.
On goals, I'm very behind on my exercise this month. My second commitment should be to go to the gym at least 1 of the 2 days. I'm on track with the affirmation goals and I'm doing very well on overall will power and weight loss so I'm not freaking out too much about the lack of exercise.
I did the two things I committed to do today. And I've completed daily logs for three days in a row. I feel like I'm beginning to crawl back onto the wagon. Yippee!
Claire, we seem to be on the same page so frequently of late! I too, read this thread earlier but decided to wait it post. It was my son's birthday yesterday and I knew all good habits would go out the window! I have two days before my future son-in-law's birthday on Thursday, so I'd better jump in now! (This week is hell on my weight loss! lol)
I will eat a wee bit below my calorie limit (to try and make up for two days of big meals and birthday cake)
I will drink 2 extra glasses of water today and tomorrow (again, to try and flush out the extra sodium from the bigger meals etc)
Great topic and perfect timing for me! Thanks, Sarah!
A bit late coming into this! but okay 2 things
1. Eat three meals tomorrow
2. Menu plan for the rest of the month, so that I am on track!
Thanks for the topic, Sarah.
1. Make sure that I have planned out enough meals in advance to stop me from eating something spur of the moment that doesn't fit with my fitness plan.
2. Follow through with my plans to go to the bike riding class tonight even though it's rainy.
It's all about thinking ahead about what I'm going to eat. Checking In: 100% on both of my goals so far but 7th of January seems a long way off...
I am liking the timer thing to remind myself to move while at work. While I'm sure there are others out there, I like this one a lot:
Its pretty amazing, but over the past couple of days I've realized that I could probably go for an hour + sitting in one position, getting work done. Not healthy!
So, my mid-term revised goal is: to set the timer everyday while at work between now and Jan 7th. I will do my physical therapy exercises when the timer goes off!
What are the two things I can do:
1) Plan out my day's worth of meals at breakfast
2) Work on getting my paperwork tasks up to date. When this weighs on my mind I tend not to care what I eat or if I exercise.
This week has been rough for me. I just found out that my younger brother's tumor has returned. It is so hard thinking that this time next year he might not be with us. He has been battling several major health issues over the last few years and we all thought that he was on the road to recovery. I feel helpless in being able to do anything to help him other than to be here.