The Lounge
Moderators: nomoreexcuses, Mollybygolly, spoiled_candy, peaches0405


Did I accidentally give myself food poisoning?


Quote  |  Reply

Friday night, I came back to my dorm room to discover that i left my mini fridge open. It had been open about 8 hours I'd say, so I threw out the milk and sandwich meat. Fast forward to today, I got out a fat free hot dog and some french onion dip from the fridge and had a hot dog and light chips for lunch.

2 hours later, I started feeling pretty bad. Stomach cramps, nausea. It's now almost 8pm and I still feel shaky, hot, and like I need to throw up, although the cramps are mostly gone. I also started Zoloft to help with my anxiety on Saturday, and I am not sure if that is the factor and has nothing to do with the hot dog.


Is it possible I gave myself mild food poisoning? This is probably a dumb question, but I figured that hot dogs were fine because they're already cooked.. and french onion dip and stuff like that gets left out at parties all the time. Anyway, I threw out everything else in the fridge today just to be on the safe side.

Thanks!

9 Replies (last)
Original Post by sugar_and_spice:

Friday night, I came back to my dorm room to discover that i left my mini fridge open. It had been open about 8 hours I'd say, so I threw out the milk and sandwich meat. Fast forward to today, I got out a fat free hot dog and some french onion dip from the fridge and had a hot dog and light chips for lunch.

2 hours later, I started feeling pretty bad. Stomach cramps, nausea. It's now almost 8pm and I still feel shaky, hot, and like I need to throw up, although the cramps are mostly gone. I also started Zoloft to help with my anxiety on Saturday, and I am not sure if that is the factor and has nothing to do with the hot dog.


Is it possible I gave myself mild food poisoning? This is probably a dumb question, but I figured that hot dogs were fine because they're already cooked.. and french onion dip and stuff like that gets left out at parties all the time. Anyway, I threw out everything else in the fridge today just to be on the safe side.

Thanks!

Feeling any better? o_o

Original Post by sugar_and_spice:

Friday night, I came back to my dorm room to discover that i left my mini fridge open. It had been open about 8 hours I'd say, so I threw out the milk and sandwich meat. Fast forward to today, I got out a fat free hot dog and some french onion dip from the fridge and had a hot dog and light chips for lunch.

2 hours later, I started feeling pretty bad. Stomach cramps, nausea. It's now almost 8pm and I still feel shaky, hot, and like I need to throw up, although the cramps are mostly gone. I also started Zoloft to help with my anxiety on Saturday, and I am not sure if that is the factor and has nothing to do with the hot dog.


Is it possible I gave myself mild food poisoning? This is probably a dumb question, but I figured that hot dogs were fine because they're already cooked.. and french onion dip and stuff like that gets left out at parties all the time. Anyway, I threw out everything else in the fridge today just to be on the safe side.

Thanks!

 It could be an adverse result to the medication? o_O Be cautious.  Can you Ask your Dr.? I wouldn't leave it up to chance myself. I'd call/see my doctor about it asap if it were me. I've had uncommon severe allergic reactions to a prescribed med before though.

http://www.drugs.com/zoloft.html

Thanks. I'm still feeling awful this morning and can't get this headache to go away. I'm gonna talk to my DR about this because if it is a reaction to the mediciation, that was really severe.

If you didn't do it accidentally, then you did it intentionally. :D

when I had food poisoning it came on really suddenly, about 4 or 5 hours after I ate. Like uncontrollable nausea, vomiting and other "fun" stuff. It was disgusting. The worst lasted maybe 12 hours then it was a full 3 days before I was back to normal. It was a very violent, sudden onset of the symptoms though.

Sounds like flu may also be a possibility? I had a horrendous headache, and tummy symptoms, with the flu about a month ago.

Go to the doc, either way - best to get checked out.

French onion dip is perishable and you left it sitting in an open fridge for eight hours, and then cooled it down again and left it for a few days. I'm not suprised it made you ill. When food is kept COLD the germies can't breed in it, but when it starts to warm up they can get a foothold, and they don't go away again when you cool it back down. If there is ANYTHING else in that fridge that is even remotely perishable, please throw it out.

Germs can not breed in acid or super-sweet environments, so condiments like mustard and ketchup and spreads like jam are fine. Butter/margerine and cheese don't grow bacteria (and of course, fresh fruit and vegetables are fine too...) But meats, other dairy products etc are perfect germ-growing cultures.

Take care! You're more than welcome. Sometimes your body causes you to throw up in order to reject medication. It's a natural reaction for some. It could be due to tainted food, but an allergic reaction is serious. It could get worse as time progresses if you continue to take the pills.. ( If that is the cause.)

I hope you are feeling better!  When I started Zoloft I had some random nausea and vomiting for a week or so, so I understand your confusion!  However, I definitely think the food is the culprit in this case because the fridge was left a little open for that long, which created the perfect environment for bacteria to multiply in those food items, and it does so quickly!  The fact that you experienced the symptoms you did within two hours of eating the food also indicates food related illness - food poisoning behaves like that!  It comes fast and can hit you HARD, even in mild cases. 

The two times I have had it I ate but within an hour to two hours I started feeling dizzy/shakey, and then nausea, vomiting, (this is gross) diarrhea, cramping, upset stomach . . . it feels like how you used to get the 24 hour flu bug when you were a kid.  In the more milder cases it ends almost as fast as it started - usually within 4-8 hours after the onset of symptoms - but you can have lingering effects (such as the headache you are describing).  It is wise to seek the advise of your prescribing doctor, though, especially if it continues.

It took me a week or two with random on-off bouts of nausea/vomiting until my body adjusted to Zoloft.  I was instructed to take it at night just in case I experienced nausea, and when I did feel sick it was always in the morning.

Back to the food issue . . . feeling shaky, hot, nauseased, stomach cramps . . . that is exactly what many cases of food poisoning, especially the more mild cases, causes.  Beginning Zoloft may cause nausea and vomiting, but it less likely stomach cramps.

Hope you figured it out by now, I'm sure you did. 

 

(edit: added some info on Zoloft-related nausea)

9 Replies
Advertisement
Advertisement