The Lounge
Moderators: Mollybygolly, spoiled_candy, nomoreexcuses, peaches0405


My black lab/golden retriever mix is having seizures. She is 13 years old and the vet has her on phenobarbital. One half a tablet twice a day. She had her last seizure Monday and it was mild compared to the others.

The first seizures started about a month ago and I cried like a baby. We don't feed her table scraps but she eats anything-rocks,sticks, animal droppings - anything!

Do any of you have a pet or had one that went thru this?

Any input is appreciated!

SAM 

7 Replies (last)

I had a lab/golden retriever cross who had seizures - it's apparently genetic to the lab breed.  He was on a pill also - just make sure you do it every day at the same time.

After every seizure my dog would eat everything he could find - my kids were at their Dad's one night and he had a really mild seizer - walked into my daughter's room and found her Easter Chocolate - it was not a good nigh

 

 

Thanks! She empties her water at least twice after she has an episode she wants to go do her business.

I have to watch her like a hawk because she likes to hop up and get things off the kitchen counter. She got hold of a whole pound of butter and swallowed it paper and all. That wasn't a good day! The next morning I found a huge hole in the carpet  where she chewed it up.    It  has been one big Marley Adventure! 

My boyfriend's black lab had a seizure earlier this year, it was very very bad. They didn't think Reggie was going to make it through the night but he did and after a week was strong enough to come home.

However even with medication he had to be carried downstairs to go potty, carried to his food and water and would have involuntary muscle spasms. After two weeks and him deteriorating my boyfriend made the decision to put Reggie to sleep. He was almost 15 and had a great life, it still upsets R that he had to make that choice, he feels incredibly guilty about it even though I have reassured him that he did the right thing since Reggie was in a lot of discomfort. 

Just make sure whatever you do is in your dog's best interest, it is very difficult to let a well loved pet go but sometimes it is best for them. And we all sign up for heartache when we allow ourselves to emotionally invest in an animal with a relatively short life span (compared to ours)

I wish you and your lab the best! 

Original Post by ildako:

My black lab/golden retriever mix is having seizures. She is 13 years old and the vet has her on phenobarbital. One half a tablet twice a day. She had her last seizure Monday and it was mild compared to the others.

The first seizures started about a month ago and I cried like a baby. We don't feed her table scraps but she eats anything-rocks,sticks, animal droppings - anything!

Do any of you have a pet or had one that went thru this?

Any input is appreciated!

SAM 

 

 Sadly, I do.

My Shih-Tzu was 16 years old when he had his first seizure. They suspected a brain tumor, but didn't think it would be very safe in his condition to be put under anesthesia for the MRI to find out.

We kept him on the pheno for several weeks, and he'd gotten weak in his back end..we knew it wasn't looking good, but were trying everything we could and hoping that the damage to his body caused by the seizure might get better. We thought if we could control the seizures..maybe we'd have more time with him, you know?

Well, several weeks after the first episode (and after being hospitalized for the first so many days in a canine neurology ward at the local specialty group)

My little guy had a major seizure, and it was clear the drugs were not helping.

We rushed him to the ER, and made the hardest decision. I just couldn't put him through anything more, and there was no telling the damage the horrible, massive seizure had done, so we saw no other option.

But not every dog with seizures has a tumor, and some older dogs do fine on pheno for a while and even enjoy more years of life, so this is not to say that your situation is as dire as ours was.

I'm so sorry, and I hope you have the best outcome possible.

 

I have a 9-year-old pug who had seizures probably...seven years ago. I'll never forget them; I was terrified! I was hysterically crying and am amazed I was able to drive him to the vet myself.

They were able to get them under control with some Valium. We had to take him to a more sophisticated clinic to undergo a spinal tap, thanks to a little disease called pug dog encephalitis. The test came back negative, thankfully.

 He took phenobarb and we had an emergency stash of Valium that we were to administer rectally if he were to ever have a seizure again. He didn't.

He's still alive and as ornery as ever. He's diabetic and blind but is still loving life. He's my little smush-face!

Thanks guys!

The Parson Jack Russell of my bf has Eplilepsy and is on valium. He has a small seizurez a 2 or 3 tims a week (despite the valium) and it has probably made him age faster.

But he's lived with them for over 10 years and he doesn't remeber them. It just looks pathetic while having them and he's knackered afterwards.

He is addicted to valium, though. In the afternoon he gets very jittery and nervous and keeps running to his boss until she gives him the tablet (if she forgets or is a bit late). Then he's fine. My fiends says she feels like a dog drug dealer :-)

He'll be 12 this year and while he's clearly getting a bit old he's a happy dog.

7 Replies
Advertisement
Advertisement
Allergy Remedies
Is It Possible to Go Natural?
The side effects of allergy medications keep some people from using them. Natural remedies can be a great alternative, but some are more effective than others.