The Lounge
Moderators: Mollybygolly, spoiled_candy, nomoreexcuses, peaches0405

Is it ever OK...

Quote  |  Reply

For a parent to tell a child "You are no longer part of this family?", regardless of age.

Being that the majority of issues experienced in adulthood can be traced back to childhood, can parents ever be fully admonished from any/all responsibility?

Where does parenting end?

72 Replies (last)

No.  Not OK.  Never. 

No.

If I had a nickel for everytime my Mother told me I wasn't a part of the family... 

I'd have about $25.

NO.  Not OK. 

What if the kid is a serial killer?

Would have to be a serial killer, or a pedophile, before I could disown a child - gawds forbid. Yikes.

I'm not sure if it's "ok" but I think, in some extreme cases, it is necessary.

Original Post by amethystgirl:

Or a Yankees fan?

Still my kid.

Original Post by lostpumpkins:

Still my kid.

So there's no line he could ever cross to where you'd disown him?

Still my kid, indeed, but I'd turn his axe murderin' ass in.

Original Post by amd_66:

For a parent to tell a child "You are no longer part of this family?", regardless of age.

Being that the majority of issues experienced in adulthood can be traced back to childhood, can parents ever be fully admonished from any/all responsibility?

Says who?  I don't believe this.  Too many adults use this statement as an excuse for their criminal behavior.  It's too easy....too convenient.  Some people, sure.  There's execptions, of course.  You're an adult....you get caught in a crime....time to man up.  Stop blaming others. 

Original Post by roxysparkles:

Original Post by lostpumpkins:

Still my kid.

So there's no line he could ever cross to where you'd disown him?

Jeffrey Dahlmer's father never disowned him.  Odd but true. 

In a more realistic vein than Axe Murderers, Pedarists or Yankees Fans:

You'd have to disown or at least distance yourself from a kid who was beating you up, wouldn't you?

So it depends on what they have done?

What if they are a drug dealer/user (for example)? there are so many serious things a person can do it's kind of hard thinking of the ones which would be the end of the line.

Original Post by kathygator:

Still my kid, indeed, but I'd turn his axe murderin' ass in.

Yes.

To me this is an obvious exception.  However, I've read that although children can be predisposed to sociopathic behavior, enviornment can play a role in the extent of which it can be triggered. 

I don't think the parent, even in that case, can wash their hands entirely.

I would turn a child (any family member) in for a crime if I had knowledge of it.

Knowing what I know of my family and knowing that in the grand scheme of things, they're probably a 6 on the 1-10 scale of crazy, I suppose that for the health and well-being of the rest of the family it may be necessary in extreme cases.

Original Post by amd_66:

It doesn't. Or, well, it shouldn't.

The supposed unconditional parental love aside, you ("you" as in people in general, not amd_66 specifically) got a child because YOU wanted it and you can't just push it away once you grow tired of it. Besides, the child's behaviour and most decisions are the product of the upbringing YOU have provided for them. Therefore, your responsibility for your child will end when one of you dies.

I'm tired of parents saying that their kids will have to be on their own once they're old enough to find a job/finish school. Your spoiled 30-year-old is still living at home and not doing anything to change that? So, where has your firm parental hand been so far? If you were a proper parent, your kids would have been independent and living on their own. [/rant ended]

Edit: Now, people with mental problems are an obvious exception.

^This

Original Post by cincy46runner:

Original Post by amd_66:

Says who?  I don't believe this.  Too many adults use this statement as an excuse for their criminal behavior.  It's too easy....too convenient.  Some people, sure.  There's execptions, of course.  You're an adult....you get caught in a crime....time to man up.  Stop blaming others. 

Say many experts who deal with criminals, however I am not just talking about crime.

72 Replies (last)
Advertisement
Advertisement