Hi, I have some extra-firm silken lite tofu that I need to finish up, as well as some fresh tomatos. My bf has been asking for burgers, but I didn't know if anyone was creative and had other ideas? We've been doing variations of stir-frys, currys, and fajitas for a few weeks with tempeh, tofu, and seitan.
Last night we had the most amazing lettuce cups/wraps.
- We pressed some of the water out of the tofu by cutting it into planks and placing it between two clean tea towels with a cast iron pan on top.
- We ground up some almonds and made a crust out of those and some rice flour, and pan fried it in a little oil until crispy and set it on some paper towels while we assembled the rest of the ingredients.
- We took a head of Boston Bibb lettuce and cleaned and separated the leaves on a plate
- We cooked up some super thin rice noodles
- We chopped up some fresh herbs - cilantro, mint & spring onions and put them in small containers
- We also put some mandarin oranges & slivered almonds in small containers as well
- We set out some hot sauce and some sweet chili sauce (Mae Ploy is my favorite)
- We grabbed a lettuce leaf and assembled them with the tofu, rice noodles, fresh herbs, oranges almonds and the sweet chili sauce...
- Then we watched Sherlock Holmes :) It was a great night!
Tofu scramble is very delicious. I don't use a recipe. I just saute mushrooms, onions and peppers then toss in the tofu and mix it all together. Then I sprinkle in tumeric, salt and pepper and let it cook for a while.
The wraps sound awesome!!!
My bf was not impressed witht eh last scramble I did- something about the texture. I think I might try again.
I don't use silken tofu very often (I usually use the regular extra firm tofu), but my favorite way to cook it (not terribly healthy!) is cubed, breaded and deep fried. Something about the crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside is sooo delicious! You can serve it with a curry or stir fry.
Whenever I have tofu that I don't know what to do with or left over tofu I cube it and put it in tomato soup with couscous. It is really good with some fresh basil.