I'm female, 16, 5'2 and about 90 pounds, trying to get to 100. I've been trying to gain for a week, but I'm still struggling to hit the 2,000 calorie mark. I feel like I'm stuffing myself most of the time, but I'm pretty sure i'm going to need to need to eat more if I want to get some meat on my bones.. help?
Here are some tips to gain weight healthily
- Eat throughout the day (5 or 6 times), and make sure your snacks are high in healthy fats & protein. Grab some mixed nuts and seeds, avocado, chocolate and yogurts.
- Get a variety of different foods into your diet. I always aim to eat at least 15 different foods in a day. You can aim for something like that and find foods that you have never tried. Maybe quinoa? High in calories & very delicious! :)
- Add olive oil/butter to your meals. 1 tablespoon of olive oil has 120 calories, and I can't taste a difference in the food, so it doesn't seem like your adding anything!
- Don't be afraid of treating yourself. Grab a bowl of ice-cream after dinner, some apple pie and custard... Your gaining weight! Its okay to spurge on some high fat, delicious foods. I try my best to get in a high calorie dessert at least 3 times a week. If you can do it every night, thats awesome!
- When you have a cup of tea, add a little extra milk and sugar (if you like it) & add a few biscuits to have with it. A nice way to add an extra few calories to your day.
- Exercise! Running/jogging will NOT help you with gaining, unless its very minimal. It would be better if you took part in muscle building exercising 3-4 times a week, which will help you gain muscle as well as fat, and help with the healthy weight gain.
Hope they helped, good luck! You should notice a difference in a few weeks!
Yeah what she said!! Exercise is what keeps me sane through the process. Seeing some gorgeous muscle cover myself makes me feel like I DESERVE to feel and look good! I am for 6 meals/snacks a day. Even if I don't feel like it I eat a little something to stoke my metabolism and add calories and often times that lil something makes me more hungry! Desserts help too! I always felt so wrong eating dessert multiple times a week but honestly as long as you eat balanced meals one dessert a day will not hurt you at all at this stage. Honestly its energy in energy out. People call desset unhealthy because if you are not seeking to gain weight added calories and such are not necessary. Often times these people are not getting enough veggies and fruits in already and a dessert would be better replaced with something lighter. For US on the other hand if youve been eating quality all day dessert is a tasty way to get in those cals!! Good luck!! ;)
Thanks guys! Will definitely sneak in some high calorie snacks today.. unfortunately oil/butter and dessert are big fears of mine :( i'm getting better at allowing myself to eat dessert, but i still just can't bear to put oil or butter in my food. hopefully this fear will soon be conquered :)
Well done on allowing yourself desserts! You deserve it! I understand about oil & butter... I've gotten better with extra virgin olive oil, I manage to add a tablespoon to a few meals a week, and hoping to increase this as I continue through recovery. :) Butter on the other hand... Is something I have a tackle. Just take your time & keep positive! Add these foods once you feel more confident about it!
The snacks should hopefully benefit your weight gain! Don't panic, it won't be a quick weight gain, it will be gradual and good for you! Keep it up!