Weight Loss
Moderators: coach_k, spoiled_candy, Mollybygolly, devilish_patsy, nycgirl

There are so many different opinions/ideas about "how" someone should eat in order to lose weight. 

I, personally, like to eat 6 or 7 times per day.  A typical day for me would be a scrambled egg and piece of fruit for breakfast, another piece of fruit about 2-3 hours later, chicken and veggies for lunch a couple hours after that, a protein bar for an afternoon snack, another piece of fruit a couple hours later, lean steak, veggies, and brown rice for dinner and a small treat for dessert.  I can easily make this amount to between 1200 and 1500 calories per day and it helps prevent "the munchies" that would make me reach for a sweet treat in the afternoon. 

So, what do you do?  Are you a "three square meals" per day kind of person?  Do you snack all day?  Do you combine foods in a certain way?  Eat at certain times?  What works for you?

25 Replies (last)
Quote  |  Reply

I just eat when I get hungry

I don't really buy into the 6 meals a day, I talked to my doctor and basically they said the most important thing is to burn calories after each meal so they aren't stored

I am restricting my calories right now, so  I keep track of everything I eat and am just relying on science, so if i've already eaten a lot of calories then for my last meal of the day i'll just eat something light so that I don't go  over

if i want to treat myself, my other meals will be low calorie

i'm really not a breakfast person [usually just coffee]

for lunch a sandwich

i looove fruit

and STIRFRY and OMELETTES are the best way to get protein and vegetables in such a yummy way

i also make really yummy foods like veggie burgers and flatbread pizza's, coconut curry's

so that i never feel deprived, and when I cook at home I can control every single calorie

so far I have lost 10lbs doing this

i was at 165.. now i'm 155.. my goal is 115-120

ALSO , I add spice and hot sauce to a lot of my foods! that way I drink tons of water with it, and I eat it slow and it fills me up better.

ALSO, one of the most important things for me is PORTIONS.. so I like to make sure I measure everything. An extra cup of food wont seem like a lot on the plate but it'll add so many extra calories. And if i'm eating out, i'll  never eat the whole thing, usually about 1/3 of the plate

I try to keep my breakfast small, usually a banana and coffee. Then i usually have some sort of snack like yogurt or a granola bar 2-3 hrs later.

lunch i also try to keep low calorie, lots of vegtables and some sort of lean protein. I can usually make it to dinner without a snack, just keep drinking lots of water.

When I get home, dinner is usually not to hard to piece together something healthy. When I go grocery shopping on the weekends i plan ahead what meals i will be making what days. 

After dinner is where the temptation sets in. I am a terible evening snacker, so this is what i struggle with. However as long as i stay busy i tend to make it through the day just under my calorie alotment.

So long story short: Meal-Snack-Meal-Snack-Meal-Snack... this way i am content lol

Well for breakfast i usually have something egg based or a breakfast lean pocket with some fruit. Lunch is usually a turkey wrap or sandwich with 30% whole grain white bread loaded with lettuce and tomatoes and baked cheetos, cottage cheese, fruit or pasta salad. Dinner, if i eat with my bf its chicken or pasta, without him i'll eat a smart ones or healthy choice meal.

I typically don't snack but if i do its baked chips or wheat thins.

8am-breakfast
10am- about 100 cal snack
Noon-lunch
2pm-about 100 cal snack
5-6ish-dinner
sometimes another small snack after dinner

i eat 5 or 6 meals a day.

I tend to start out big and taper off towards dinner.

Oatmeal and an egg for breakfast

cottage cheese and fruit a couple of hours later

Tuna or chicken with veggies or pita bread for lunch

Later I might have a salad with low cal dressing or string cheese

Dinner is what ever I am making for my family.  But I am a decent and healthy cook.

I rarely snack after dinner.

yeah i cant really do the whole 6 meal a day thing either, doesn't work well with my schedule, i like to eat what i want for dinner, just not for me. not big on/not worth it to me to wake up earlier to have breakfast which is probably bad but it works for me, i will have a coffee but sometimes thats not til lunch time b/c i cant drink it in my first class and odnt have a break to get it until then, ill usually have a piece of fruit with that and a little later maybe oatmeal/soup/cereal/bagel, but sometimes i workout first b/c again, probably not so healthy haha, but i just feel so much better working out on an empty stomach, and for dinner whatever i want, in moderation. really try to not eat after but if i do try to keep it to a piece of fruit or a little popcorn. i hate going to bed full.

I go with 3 medium sized meals but with snacks in between - I'd starve without those! I like to have a decent breakfast to keep me going, as I'm busy around college campus a lot of the time and so short on time to eat. Usually I've had about 1100 calories before dinnertime and then I will fill that up with dinner and depending on how many cals were in that, a post-dinner snack. Works for me :) Sometimes I get quite hungry in the afternoon though!

I tried eating 6 - 7 smaller meals and I liked the idea of being able to constantly eat but I eventually got over it, eating so often did not give my body enough time to become “ hungry” before my next snack and I found that I only enjoy eating when I am hungry

I didn’t have to FORCE myself to get the food in, but I still wasn’t hungry, so basically ate because I knew that if I DIDN’T eat all my snacks, then it could add up and I would probably become hungry later on after dinner, so I wanted to make sure I ate enough to avoid this.

Now I enjoy having 3 meals a day with 1 snack if/when I get hungry, I enjoy food the most if my body has enough time to become hungry between meals!

Not eating as often doesn’t really make a difference to your weight, it is other things, such as not eating for too long so that you go and over eat, which adds up over time.

The research about speeding up the metabolism by having small meals doesn’t technically make much difference, it is the habits and amount you eat as a RESULT that determines your success.

I think if having 6 or more smaller meals a day works well for you and prevents you from snacking and making bad choices then it is ideal, I personally don’t have a large appetite or have strong hunger signals so I can go a while without food and not get to a point where I am starving enough to make bad choices and stuff myself!

6 meals, non-processed foods (Generally leads to a lot of food preparation time, though), typically ~40-45% carbs on maintenance and varying but generally lower levels when aiming for loss. Aim for 30% protein pretty much universally and always make sure to get a goood variety of fats. Veggies a few times a day, occasional fruit.

Breakfast - 8 am: 1 cup of cereal and skim milk

Work Out, get dressed, class

Lunch - 12, turkey sandwich on multigrain, fruit, yogurt product (either greek yogurt or cottage cheese), and a veggie (I like raw bell peppers the best)

Snack - 3: Fruit and a nonfat latte or just a piece of fruit

Dinner - 6: a protein (usually chicken or fish) and a veggie or a large salad with protein in it

Try not to snack after dinner, sometimes I have desert (candy, fro yo, or a cookie)

Breakfast 8:15am

Breakfast 2 11:00 am

Snack 1pm

Lunch 2:45pm

Snack 5:30-6

Dinner 7:30-8

Snack 9:30

i find that I am hungrier sooner after a snack than a meal so usually there's more time between a meal and a snack than a snack and another meal. If I don't eat like this I am much hungrier and can't stop thinking about food. it is kind of difficult though because it takes time and preparation.

what works for me is breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, snack.  I usually wake up late, and therefore eat breakfast late, so I don't really need a snack in there.

A typical day for me starts in the morning at 8:00 AM.

and then i usually eat 5-6 meals (stopping before 7) at 200-250 calories each.

For example.

1. Special K Satisfaction (150) + Skim Milk (80)

2. Banana (100) Table spoon of peanut butter (80) plus one small apple (50)

3. Brown rice (SMALL), fish sole, mixed frozen vegetables.

4. 1/2 cup of baked beans (don't ask...childhood thing, and they oddly have a health check symbol!)

5. Chicken, brown rice (my portions are SMALL), zucchini.

6. Fruit (Plum + Small apple + half banana) and some yogurt.  

7. And I just had a hot chocolate. 

I am quite skinny as is...5'9 and 124 pounds.  I bike to class, so ten minutes there and ten or so back.  I also do yoga for 15 minutes and that's about it.

But sometimes I switch it up.

Half a pita  (80)+ slice of cheese (80) with two table spoons of hummus (60)

Carrots and hummus

Eggs and bok choy

For me, it all just depends on where I am, but if I'm staying home, I'll generally have a cup of coffee..then a few hours or so later, a bowl of oatmeal, then I'll have a larger meal as dinner, and call it quits.

Yet, if I stay up late, I might add a yogurt and/or some fruit to that.

When I'm on the go, I'll usually skip the oatmeal, then have something a bit naughtier for dinner because it will be whatever I grab.

This is where my handy dandy food list for restaurants and fast food places comes in.

I know some people do great eating a bunch of mini meals all day, but I just can't..I'm really not a grazer, and if I'm not hungry, I just have no desire to put anything in my mouth at all.

I also chug water, green tea and diet soda throughout the day so maybe that's part of why I don't feel very hungry between meals.

I split my hand written food diary into these sections.

breakfast-

lunch-

snack-

dinner-

dessert-

total:

My calorie intake is 1300 a day with little or no exercise.

I am a stay at home mom and my son and I both start our day at around 10am.

My meals are between 110 to 390 calories depending on what I'm eating. I measure out real food or sometimes I eat a weight watchers already portioned meal. My snack can be anywhere from 5 (that's gum) to 200. An example of a snack would be like celery sticks or an apple. My dessert is usually about 210 calories. When I am eating any meal or snack I never go over 400 calories per sitting.

I find that gum between meals helps me not think about wanting to eat more food. It's something about the chewing it makes my brain think I'm eating more. I also drink bottles of water during and in between meals. they keep my mouth busy. I’ll have one diet coke for dinner (I used to be addicted and now I only allow myself one a day so it's like a treat for me) I also have that book that tells me how many calories are in everything and it's handy  if we have to go out to eat so I can still keep track.

Another thing that really helps me is the prospect of dessert. I usually have a 210 calorie brownie everyday a couple hours after dinner. I really look forward to that brownie I love chocolate. So if I ever think about having more food I always just remind myself I wouldn’t be able to have my brownie for the day. Usually I get to eat my brownie. :)

I have found doing all this very beneficial. I feel healthier. I have already lost 5 pounds in a month which is a healthy losing rate. I can’t wait to weigh myself next month. So far I am completely on track with what the site says I should be losing.

My days look like this:

Breakfast: no more than 45 g of carbs and 15 g of fat

Snack: no more than 11-22g of carbs and 5 g of fat

Lunch: no more than 45 g of carbs and 15 g of fat

Snack: no more than 11-22g of carbs and 5 g of fat

Dinner: no more than 45 g of carbs and 15 g of fat

I've noticed I never go over 1440 for calories in a day and other than normal household chores and walking the dogs... I don't exercise yet. I am losing weight at a great pace (from what I have noticed and my dietician).

I eat three meals a day, every four to five hours.

A decent breakfast, a big lunch and a small dinner as opposed to the big dinner that has become customary in most North American households.  I just don't see the point in having your largest meal of the day a few hours before you go to sleep.

I have just recently learned that for me, what I eat determines how much hunger I feel and thus how much food I will consume.  I recently tried a two week period of high protein, very low fat and moderate amounts of carbs - mostly fibrous carbs (veggies) and small amounts of brown rice and/or potatoes.  The regimen I followed suggested 4 meals (1 every 3 hours).

Prior to this program, I was unable to follow most diet plans because I felt an enormous, constant and almost uncontrollable hunger.  The protein helps me to control my appetite and stay within a reasonable calorie consumption range.  This is not a long-term program, but it definitely helped jumpstart my weight loss and now is helping me to stay on a longer term plan.  I'm now eating 4-5 times a day but again, my focus is on making sure I consume lean protein at each meal.

I eat 6 or 7 meals a day also.  I don't do this because its supposed to boost your metabolism, I do this because my metabolic rate has increased so much that I have to!  Every three hours, I'm hungry!  During the work weak, this is typical:

Breakfast: Yogurt with fruit and 1/4 cup of flax granola (190KCal)

10:30 snack: apple and 70 Kcal cookie (150 KCal)

1:00 lunch: varies, often chicken breast with big veggie salad (350 KCal)

4:00 snack: laughing cow cheese and crackers (145kCal)

7:30 Dinner: Varies, last night chicken fingers and sweet potato fries (350 KCal) and a glass of wine (85 K Cal)

9:00 Snack: Popcorn, or veggies, or rice chips, whatever, just can't go over 100KCal

This puts me at just over 1200 cals a day, and I like to save 200 discretionary calories for me to satiate cravings of things that aren't on my food plan.  So I eat about 1400-1500 daily.  I just find that six-seven meals daily leaves me feeling the most satisfied!

Original Post by amykins1283:

There are so many different opinions/ideas about "how" someone should eat in order to lose weight. 

I, personally, like to eat 6 or 7 times per day.  A typical day for me would be a scrambled egg and piece of fruit for breakfast, another piece of fruit about 2-3 hours later, chicken and veggies for lunch a couple hours after that, a protein bar for an afternoon snack, another piece of fruit a couple hours later, lean steak, veggies, and brown rice for dinner and a small treat for dessert.  I can easily make this amount to between 1200 and 1500 calories per day and it helps prevent "the munchies" that would make me reach for a sweet treat in the afternoon. 

So, what do you do?  Are you a "three square meals" per day kind of person?  Do you snack all day?  Do you combine foods in a certain way?  Eat at certain times?  What works for you?

WOW, you eat so healthy. I used to eat three meals per day but I glazed for snacks almost all day long. In the morning I would have cream of wheat for breakfast then one hour later I started looking for comfort food. Bagels, donuts, cookies. The same routine started again after a full lunch (Chinese food or chicken with french fries) My problem was that I almost never stopped eating between the three meals and I snacked on "bad choices" of food - cake, cookies, sweet pastries etc) The outcome of that was I became severely overweight. Now I try to just eat three regular meals and in between I eat sugar free Popsicles as snack.

25 Replies (last)
Advertisement
Advertisement
Allergy Remedies
Is It Possible to Go Natural?
The side effects of allergy medications keep some people from using them. Natural remedies can be a great alternative, but some are more effective than others.