Weight Loss
Moderators: coach_k, spoiled_candy, Mollybygolly, devilish_patsy, nycgirl

I would call this past week a GREAT week in the sense of diet and exercise; however, the scale not only doesn't show the loss, it shows a THREE POUND GAIN!!! What????? In the past week, I did not exceed my calorie limit AND I worked out every single day (once with a trainer who kicked my butt!).  How can this be? I'm eating right, drinking TONS of water and working out.  Any thoughts?

8 Replies (last)

Give it time. You're probably retaining water. If you're doing everything you say you are, in a couple days you should see different results.

Whenever I weight lift I seem to retain more water than cardio and I almost always have a gain the next day or so.

Don't freak out. You're learning about your body. I think it's interesting how our muscles react to what we do and how over time our bodies adjust. It's pretty amazing.

I agree,

Dont beat your self up!! Ur doing great, you exercising and starting a healthy living style. Its only been a week!.. If you worked out with a trainer there were probubly alot of strength training to burn those calories.. your prob gaining muscle, which makes you gain weight. muscle is heavier then fat!..ur doing great stick with it!.. it takes alot of time and dedication! fat will start coming eventually, Ur on the right track!

Quote  |  Reply

I know what you mean, this last week I've kicked up my exercise and kept within my calorie allowance everyday, but I'm still going up and down the same 2lbs.

It's incredibly frustrating and disheartening.

I'll tell you what people have said to me - it could just be water retention, or the body getting used to all the changes in activity/diet etc.

Don't give up though, you are doing everything right.  Maybe try measuring instead of using the scales to chart progress.

I hope you start to see the results you want :)

I would like to say with that, that you should start measuring.. i have been working out very intense 3-4 times a week, eating under my cal allowence and this has been for a month and a half.. and you know what has changed on the scale!.. 1 pound! thats it!.. now that is very disencouraging!.. but all i tell my self that something good has to come from all this work. I'm going to start measuring, i feel lighter sometimes, and i do feel toner. They all have been telling me that its musle and water retention. But for a month! I dont know.. Just keep doing it!.. We can do it!.. Were on the right Track.

Quote  |  Reply
Original Post by azmommyofthree:

I would call this past week a GREAT week in the sense of diet and exercise; however, the scale not only doesn't show the loss, it shows a THREE POUND GAIN!!! What????? In the past week, I did not exceed my calorie limit AND I worked out every single day (once with a trainer who kicked my butt!).  How can this be? I'm eating right, drinking TONS of water and working out.  Any thoughts?

Its all about calories in via calories out ! How do you count your calories? If you use this useless tool on CC,then i am not surprised you are gaining weight .

Original Post by aefatty:

I would like to say with that, that you should start measuring.. i have been working out very intense 3-4 times a week, eating under my cal allowence and this has been for a month and a half.. and you know what has changed on the scale!.. 1 pound! thats it!.. now that is very disencouraging!.. but all i tell my self that something good has to come from all this work. I'm going to start measuring, i feel lighter sometimes, and i do feel toner. They all have been telling me that its musle and water retention. But for a month! I dont know.. Just keep doing it!.. We can do it!.. Were on the right Track.

I would have to agree with this poster.  I used to not measure and wonder why I wasn't going down.  My eyeballing technique wasn't as good as I thought it was.  Now I have a scale and I used the measuring untincils I have at home.  Olive oil and wine were the worst for me. I thought I know what a tablespoon of olive oil looked like boy was I wrong.  6oz of wine is just enough to make me thristy.

I would definitley recommend the GoWearFit or the Bodybugg- it's an armband you wear that measures the calories you burn every day, measures your steps, and how hard you're working out. It also shows how well you're sleeping. You can then log your food online to see how much of a calorie deficit you have. My parents are both at their lowest weights ever using them!

As everyone already said your body is just getting used to healthier lifestyle... Just don't give up !!!

8 Replies
Advertisement
Advertisement