Weight Loss
Moderators: spoiled_candy, coach_k, devilish_patsy, nycgirl, Mollybygolly

So frustrated

Quote  |  Reply

Hello,

I'm new here and just really looking for some advice.  I used to be a toothpick...I would actually drink Ensure shakes to gain weight, because I was only 105lbs.  I'm 5'4''.  Then, about 5 years ago (I'm almost 29 years old now, so I was 24 then), I went on Depo provera birth control.  Within one year I was up to 115lbs, which I was very happy with.  I also got an office job for about 2 years after this and so my activity level did go down.  By then time I was 26, I weighed about 136lbs, which is when I started to get concerned.  I went off DEPO that year and got active again (no dieting at all) and within a year I was down to 125lbs, which I was very happy with.  At 27-28, I made the HORRIBLE mistake of going back on DEPO.  Within 1.5 years I put on almost 30 lbs. and I can't get it off...I've been off DEPO for almost a month, I have been working out 5 days a week for about an hour (biking mostly, but also using sit up machine etc.) and I'm still 150 lbs.  I can't lose the weight.  I haven't been dieting too much thus far but am starting to now, but I really don't think I eat more than 1500 calories or so a day normally and this website has said I need about 1700 a day for my weight loss goal.  I just can't get the weight off and it's making me so depressed.  I can barely fit into my pants, I have stomach rolls, I look just awful...I am trying to find something that might work but I constantly get different advice.  Since working out I can squeeze into a size 7-8 pants, but they look tight and I haven't lost a single pound.  I am just so frustrated and kicking myself for going back on DEPO.  Anyone else have any advice?!

Thanks!

GD

8 Replies (last)

First thing you need to do is take a deep breath and realize it won't happen overnight. Weightloss is mostly food related and only so much working out. You need to make sure you are eating your calorie  intake and have a negative net calories.  Are you also drinking enoug water? Water is essential for flushing you out.

Hahha  i'm only 5"1 and 150 is my goal weight for the end of this summer. :)

I guess I'm confused when it comes to how much I need to burn...If this website is telling me I need 1700 a day and I'm actually under that, why am I not losing weight?  I do drink a few bottles of water a day.  I don't expect it to happen over night, I was hoping a pound or two a week, but so far in 5 weeks, not even one pound.  This is where the frustration comes in.  I am worried that no matter what I do, because of the DEPO, I won't lose weight.  My weight goal is 125lbs by August.

If anyone understands desperation, I do. I went for many months frustrated and depressed that my efforts were showing little results.

My results here aren't spectacular, but for the first time in a long time I am getting some. Here is what I am doing:

1. Measuring and weighing serving sizes. I learned that my measures had started creeping up and I was actually having larger serving sizes than I thought.
  2. Adding all my day's calories, supplements and beverages to the food log. I learned that I was probably underestimating calories a bit here, a bit there, so that I was closer to maintainance than an intake to promote loss.
  3. Watching the nutrient analysis carefully. The more in balance things are, the more likely I am to feel satisfied and avoid cravings. I still have trouble with a few, especially sodium, which leads to water retention (ESPECIALLY important when dealing with hormone fluctuation - keeping sodium low really helps a lot)
  4. People here talk a lot about making sure you eat enough. Eating too little causes the body to hold on to every calorie, thinking it is being starved. That seems counter intuitive, but there are lots of examples here from people who are losing well at the higher calorie rate.
  5. There are a number of ideas held here about the role of what you are eating - there are as many approaches as there are people. I do believe that cutting processed foods does seem to be helpful, especially sugars and highly processed carbs. But I'm sure you could exist on coke and chips and lose weight if you counted nothing but the calories and didn't care about malnutrition.
  6. Finally, try to be patient. Just do the right things as well as you can, over and over, and give your body some adjustment time. Hormones are powerful things and may need time to work themselves out of your body. If, after two cycles, you still aren't losing a trip to the doctor might make sense. However, I bet by then you really will be losing!

Good luck!

Quote  |  Reply
    Girl i know the feeling. I also want to lose about 30 lbs but it's really hard when u work out a ton and you feel like you still aren't doing enough :(
    Quote  |  Reply

there are some great recipes at http://losefatcenter.com

most of the time (almost all of the time), it's not the birth control's fault.. not to point a finger at you, specifically, though!

assess your life.. i'm sure there were times of stress/anxiety/some sort of emotion that coincided with you going on the b.c. you might perhaps be an emotional eater and have yet to realize that.

sources: me, my friend, and my nutritionist.

my above opinion is based primarily on my nutritionist's words of wisdom when i asked her if changing from the pill to depo would cause me to drastically gain weight when i was looking into new birth control options... in response to my friend gaining 20lbs after starting depo herself.

turns out, my friend was also experiencing some major life changes at the same time she started her prescription: moving in with her boyfriend, becoming independent with her finances, switching majors, dealing with a family crisis, et cetera. in other words, it's apparent that my friend turned to emotional eating to cope and was blaming her weight on her birth control, rather than herself.

Quote  |  Reply

I soooo know how you feel... I had always been skinny and I am same height as you also. I had a IUD merena put in about 7 years ago ( I am 31) Once i had it put in i started gaining. I am heavier now than i have ever been except maybe when i was full term preg. So when I had the IUD removed I thought for sure I would lose. NOPE I have done nothing but gain. So for a month now I have been dieting, eating right, counting calories, cut out sugar and carbs. I have real bad knees so I do yoga instead of major workouts for now. The first week I think I lost maybe 1-2 lbs and have been stuck ever since. Up until now I have been so proud on myself for sticking with this and now I am just frustarated!! I want to cry. I do not understand what I am doing wrong. I do occasionaly have a drink or 2 about once or twice a week to relax...maybe that is what is stalling me? I now weigh 175 last year I was about 155. Normal weight for me before all this was 115-125. Soory I do not have any real advice but just wanted to share that you are not alone.

Quote  |  Reply

I’m kinda in the same boat as you…I am 5’2” and 28 years old…all my life I’ve been fortunate enough to never really have a problem with my weight.  I’ve always been pretty active and have always averaged between 110 lbs-120 lbs….this of course was up until about a year/year and a half ago.  I graduated from medical school last June so the last couple years of my life has been hectic/stressful/busy and in this time I have gained 30 lbs…this is the heaviest I have ever been in my entire life and it really kinda sucks :)

Now that I have a little more time I have been blessed with the opportunity to work with a nutritionist on my weight loss goal….Ideally I would like to weigh 110 lbs by October but even if I can get to 120 lbs by August that would be great. 

In order to loose weight you have to take your lifestyle into consideration…assuming you are sedentary…i.e. have an office job/don’t really work out/when you’re at home you just lounge and relax/sleep; you are burning about 1500-1600 calories every day.  Right now I am studying for my board exams; so I’m pretty sedentary and sit at a desk a lot, study a lot so I’m probably only burning this much.  When I do work out it is 2-3 times a week for an hour, and take my dogs for at least a half hour power walk two days a week.  Now the interesting part of the story:

A pound of body fat equates to approximately 3500 calories.  So if you have a calorie deficit of 500 calories (meaning that you burn 500 calories more than you eat each day) you would lose approximately one pound per week:

500 x 7 = 3,500

It's easy to see that a calorie deficit of 1000 calories would mean that you'd lose approximately two pounds per week. And that's a good number to remember, because two pounds a week is commonly accepted as the MAXIMUM rate of weight loss that is healthy.  Losing weight too quickly has other disadvantages, too i.e. gain weight back faster and when you do gain the weight it ends up in different places you can also mess up your metabolism.

Right now I am on a 1100 calorie diet (so the 1600 calories I’m burning everyday-1100 calories I’m eating=500 calorie deficit; and if I go to the gym it means I get to eat a couple of hundred calories more because you DO NOT want to starve your body).  I eat something small every 2 hours in order to boost my metabolism.  I have a balanced shake in the morning for breakfast and a balanced shake at lunchtime.  Along with making sure you are meeing all the nutritional guidelines, you want to make sure that you are meeting your protein requirement so I also have some small portion of protein (i.e. red meat/white meat/fish) for dinner.   

I know that this 1100 seems awful and for the first week I was the grumpiest, unhappiest person ever because you really do not realize how fast 1100 calories adds up and it is a pain to weigh all of your food and track all of your food especially if you have never had to worry about your weight before.  But it has gotten so much easier the second going into the third week.  In two weeks I have lost 7 lbs. and I feel great, the nutritionist doesn't expect that my next two week weigh in will be this much (only a couple of lbs) because my body is adjusting to a new routine but its a good start for my goal.   

So point is track and weigh EVERYTHING you eat and drink (including sauces you put in/on your food: mayo, dressing, sour cream, cheese, etc.) and have a 500 calorie deficit for the day if you want to start lose weight and seeing results.  Don’t starve yourself (if you go to the gym this means you get to eat a little more-again remember 500 calorie deficit rule) and eat every 2 hours (nothing after 8pm). When I reach my weight goal my maintenance is 1400-1600 calories a day for maintence so I'm thinking about this as a life change instead of a diet and I also get to eat whatever I want in moderation (which is the sad realization I'm coming too).  Hope this helps!

8 Replies
    Advertisement
    Advertisement