Kryptonian8077 came to the realization that he needed to lose weight and take control of his health problems after seeing an unflattering picture of himself. He has been able to reduce his weight from 300lbs to an amazing 190lbs by using Calorie Count’s tools and adding daily exercise.
He contacted us through our Share Your Story feature and provided the following answers to our questionnaire.
1. What prompted you to begin this weight loss journey? Did you have an "Aha!" moment?
Yes, during Christmas 2009 when I was at my parents they took some photos. I hadn't seen myself in pictures for years. When my Dad emailed me the pictures I was shocked at how huge I looked. Plus at this time I was starting to develop a range of health problems like chronic heart burn, sleep apnea, heart palpitations and constant and severe joint pain.
2. What other "diets" (programs, products, plans, or services) had you tried in the past?
In the past I have tried the Acai Berry Diet Pills and a wide range of special diet programs that were suppose to change my metabolism.
3. Please describe how you reached your weight loss goal. What changes did you make to your usual diet, activity, lifestyle, and attitude? Did you implement any other strategies besides Calorie Count? What was the most important change?
In summary it was simple but very hard to achieve. Eat healthy, eat less, eat frequent small portions and lots and lots of exercise. I started slowly and steady, too many times in the past I had started to exercise and overdid it which just ended up causing injury. After the first year I lost 50lbs and February of 2011 I went into overdrive with my dieting, exercise coupled with an ironclad willpower I was able to drop the remaining 60lbs in 6 months.
4. Please describe how Calorie Count was instrumental to your weight loss.
Calorie Count was a HUGE help with my diet. If I wasn't sure of the food I would look it up on Calorie Count. I would plan my grocery lists based the results I got from Calorie Count.
5. What difficulties did you experience losing weight?
Staying motivated was so hard and so was staying away from the sweet stuff. I have a massive sweet tooth and I work in an office where sweets are available way too much which made it even harder to stay on my diet.
6. How long did it take you to see results? When did you realize that you were a success?
I started feeling results like less joint pain and more stamina after losing about 30lbs, I started to change my clothes after losing about 50lbs but it wasn't till around 70lbs when I really started to notice a difference from my former self.
7. How do you prevent relapse?
The more weight I lost the easier it became to prevent relapse. When I felt myself slipping I would picture how I used to look and more importantly how I used to feel. Another thing that really helped me was reading success stories on Calorie Count and watching success stories on YouTube. It usually was just what I needed to get back on the elliptical trainer.
8. How has your life changed now that you've lost weight?
So much I can't really put into words. I have energy and stamina like I have never know before. I run every day now, weight train three times a day and I`m currently training to run the half father's day marathon on June 2012.
9. How long have you maintained your current weight?
I have been maintaining my weight for two months now.
10. What five tips do you have for other dieters?
- Read nutrition labels and educate yourself to understand them.
- Record every gram of food you consume for a few days to a week to give you an exact picture of how much you're really consuming. You'll be amazed how quickly things like salad dressing, snacks and coffee creamers add up.
- Don't give up if you don't see results right away, or if you weight loss stops for a while. Just keep at it and your weight WILL DROP. Also find something to keep yourself motivated.
- Document your journey by recording your weight and take pictures.
- Consult a dietitian if you can to make sure you don't become deficient in anything critical.
If you would like us to feature your success story, you can submit it here. The most insightful stories will be featured on this blog and in the weekly "Success Stories" newsletter.