I listen to music while I walk, but it's still a drag. I just get really bored. What can I do to make it more interesting?
You have to find a way to make exercise fun or else you won't do it. If you walk indoors on a treadmill, I recommend moving outdoors into the fresh air. Some ways that people make walking fun are by:
- walking (and talking) with a good buddy
- using gadgets like pedometers and heart rate monitors
- challenging themselves with a goal, such as training to walk for a cause like breast cancer or leukemia
- following a walking fitness program that has actual assignments
- having a destination so you're not walking to nowhere
- walking in beautiful surroundings that change with the weather and seasons
- joining (or starting) a walking club
- playing games, such as a scavenger hunt
If none of these ideas sounds good, then switch to a different exercise because walking is not for you.