Mushroom Spinach Saag Recipe
Looking for an easy Mushroom Spinach Saag recipe? Learn how to make Mushroom Spinach Saag using healthy ingredients.
Submitted by vulture11
Makes 3 servings
10 ozs spinach (frozen, thawed, then cooked in microwave) (Reserve about 2-3 oz to add to onions and mushrooms later) Pine Nuts - 2 tbsp (soaked for an hour) 1 inch Ginger, peeled & chopped ? or used ground ginger 1-2 Green Chillies (Adjust acc to taste) - or use chili powder later in recipe ¼ cup Cilantro leaves, roughly chopped 1 chopped tomato 2 garlic cloves (crushed) 1 large Onion, finely chopped 6 oz Button Mushrooms, wiped clean and quartered ¼ teaspoon turmeric 1 teaspoon chilli powder ¾ teaspoon cumin powder ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon ¼ teaspoon Cardamom ½ tbsp Lemon/Lime Juice (Adjust acc to taste)
Recipe Ingredients for Mushroom Spinach Saag
|1||package (10 oz) yields Spinach|
|0.5||serving Pine Nuts (Nature's Harvest) 1/4 cup|
|1||tsp Ginger Root|
|1/2||cup chopped raw Grape Tomatoes|
|1||medium (2-1/2" dia) Onions|
|0.25||tsp Turmeric, Ground|
|1||Teaspoon Chilli Powder|
|1||serving Ground Cumin|
|0.25||tsp Cinnamon, Ground|
|0.25||tsp, ground Cardamom|
|0.5||tsp Sea Salt|
|0.5||tbsp Lemon Juice, Canned Or Bottled|
Recipe Directions for Mushroom Spinach Saag
- Microwave Spinach:
- Step 1
- Remove frozen spinach from its freezer packaging and transfer it to a microwave-safe bowl.
- Step 2
- Pour in 1/4 cup of water for every 10 oz. of frozen spinach.
- Step 3
- Cover the bowl using a sheet of plastic wrap if your bowl does not already have a cover.
- Step 4
- Set your microwave to high and cook the frozen spinach for 6 to 7 minutes for 10 oz. of spinach; increase cooking time by half for each addition 10-oz. package.
- Step 5
- Remove the cover, stir the spinach and continue cooking for another 1 to 2 minutes or until the spinach is hot all the way through.
- Step 6
- Transfer the cooked spinach to a colander to drain. Press the spinach with a large spoon to remove all the excess liquid.
- Tips and Warnings
- Cooking frozen spinach by boiling it for 9 to 11 minutes on your stove is another option. However, boiling will lead to a significant reduction in its vitamin C content.
- OR BOIL Spinach:
- Step 1
- Remove the spinach from the freezer 2 to 3 hours before preparing it. Place it in the refrigerator to partially thaw. Partially thawed frozen spinach cooks more evenly than completely frozen spinach.
- Step 2
- Fill a saucepan with ½ cup of water for each pint of spinach you are cooking. Bring the water to a full boil over medium-high heat.
- Step 3
- Place the partially thawed spinach in the boiling water. Place the lid on the pan and bring the water back to a full boil.
- Step 4
- Lower the heat once the water returns to a boil, bring the water down to a simmer. Simmer the spinach for 3 to 5 minutes, or until it's heated through and no longer frozen.
- Step 5
- Pour the spinach into a colander and drain off the excess water. Press the cooked spinach gently to remove any excess water in the leaves prior to serving.
- For Palak/Spinach Puree:
- 10 ozs spinach (frozen, thawed, then cooked in microwave) (Reserve about 2-3 oz to add to onions and mushrooms later)
- Pine Nuts - 2 tbsp (soaked for an hour)
- 1 inch Ginger, peeled & chopped ? or used ground ginger
- 1-2 Green Chillies (Adjust acc to taste) - or use chili powder later in recipe
- ¼ cup Cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 chopped tomato
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- Grid all the ingredients listed under Palak/Spinach Puree to smooth paste in a food processor adding up to ¼ cup water as needed. Keep it aside till needed.
- 1 large Onion, finely chopped
- 6 oz Button Mushrooms, wiped clean and quartered
- Remaining spinach that wasnt' used in puree.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons vegetable stock in a large skillet over medium heat; add onions and saute for 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute until tender, about 3 minutes ? add more vegetable stock if needed so they don't stick.
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- ¾ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Cardamom
- Mix in spinach puree and give it a good mix. Add up to ½ cup water to desired consistancy. Add turmeric, chili powder and cumin. Saute, stirring for 30 seconds-1 minute or until fragrant.
- ½ teaspoon salt (taste)
- Add salt to taste, cooking for an additional minute. Add little more water if you find the gravy too thick and adjust the seasoning.
- ½ tbsp Lemon/Lime Juice (Adjust acc to taste)
- Switch off the gas and add lemon/lime juice to taste and serve this Saag Mushrooms or Palak Mushroom Curry with rice, quinoa or any Indian flat bread and devour!
- You can also add few mint leaves while grinding the spinach puree for different flavor.
- You can also add few cashew nuts when making the spinach puree which will not only give smooth texture but also helps in thickening the gravy.
- You can substitute mushrooms with Tofu or Potatoes (boiled) for different flavors.
Serving Size 205.1g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Join Calorie Count - it's easy and free!