Self Confidence Is a Beautiful Thing
Rikadkizzle lost 30lbs by making some simple changes in her eating habits, adding exercise and reaching out for support from her friends. She explains the importance to why she decided to lose weight and how she controlled her temptations.
She contacted us through our Share Your Story feature, and provided the following answers to our questionnaire.
1. What made you decide to lose weight this time?
Last Christmas I took a photo with my grandmother, and just had to stare at it. I looked like a completely different person! I have a history of diabetes in my family, and I had been told by my doctor when I was younger that I needed to stay at a healthy weight to help prevent it. I looked at that picture and thought to myself, "that is not a healthy weight at all."
2. What other "diets" (programs, products, plans, or services) had you tried in the past?
I've tried just dieting by myself before. I lacked the motivation or the willpower to constantly keep up with the calories. That's why I was so thrilled with the way that caloriecount.com works. It simplifies things so much and helps you to stay motivated!
3. What changes did you make to your usual diet, activity, lifestyle, and attitude?
I finally started college this year, and it helped me to continue making positive changes in my life. I began eating healthy and cut out snacking from boredom. I chewed a lot of gum, haha! The most important change I made was simply deciding that I wanted to be healthy.
4. How did Calorie Count help you to lose weight?
As I said before, Calorie Count simplified the process of... well... calorie counting! I would be so excited to put in my calories for the day, and then put in my exercise to see how many calories I had burned. I loved my little target weight loss thumbs up, it felt like it was cheering me on!
5. What was most challenging about losing weight?
Cutting out snacking. I was the type of person who could sit and eat a whole bag of chips out of boredom. I had to train myself not to eat constantly, and I chewed gum to stop the cravings.
6. How long did it take you to see results?
I lost weight pretty consistently throughout. I hit a plateau that frustrated me at one point, but I kept it up and eventually broke past it.
7. When did you realize that you were a success?
When I decided to try on a pair of size 8 pants, and they were too big! I was really a size 6!
8. How do you prevent relapse?
I honestly don't have the desire to eat all the time anymore. And I walk everyday for enjoyment now, not because I have to. Being healthy is so much more satisfying than that bag of chips.
9. How has your life changed now that you've lost weight?
I have more self confidence than ever before. I live in a beautiful place and now I actually have the energy to go out and enjoy it.
10. What five tips do you have for other dieters?
- Stay strong! That giant piece of homemade chocolate cake may be wonderful for a few minutes, but after that it's gone, and you're left with the negative effects.
- Gum is a great way to curb cravings.
- Find friends to support you and work out with you!
- Try and walk at least 30 minutes everyday. It relieves stress, and it
helps add to your weight loss.
- My final tip is to try to find some exercise video games. If it's fun, it's a lot easier to stay motivated!
If you would like us to feature your success story, you can submit it here. The most insightful stories will be featured on this blog and in the weekly "Success Stories" newsletter.