Slow Cookery with a Side of Salad
In corn, I think I've found the key to the American food chain. If you look at a fast-food meal, a McDonald's meal, virtually all the carbon in it - and what we eat is mostly carbon - comes from corn. - Michael Pollan, American author and educator
I sat in traffic and fumed about the delay. The odds were that I would never know if the traffic jam on I-10 was the result of a bad accident or just a stalled car in the middle lane. Once home, some of my stuck-in-traffic friends will be greeted by a spouse and a waiting meal. The rest of us will get busy cooking - or give in to the dubious nutrition, soaring calories, and expense of take out.
Cooking a meal yourself is one of the best ways to know exactly what is in your food and take control over your weight. Want a high fat, low veggie, high sodium meal? Get take out. I think I'd rather unearth the slow cooker that has been shoved to the back of the cabinet for longer than I care to admit and create a much healthier alternative. Then I can come home to an already prepared meal.
Enjoy the Recipe of the Week below - Slow Cooker Spinach, Chicken and Feta Quiche - with one of the following delicious salads! Or top off your beautiful bowl of greens with a delicious homemade dressing.
- 4jskmmom’s Bean Salad is so simple and easy to adjust to suit your family's preferences.
- Suchit’s Thai Cabbage Salad is one of my favorite "go-to" salads. It's quick to make, nutritious, and satisfyingly spicy.
- Janice's Shirazi Salad is the perfect pairing for a fast work night meal. Make it in a few minutes with a few of your spring garden veggies and enjoy.
- Meganr’s Tart Apple and Celery Salad with Walnuts is wonderful as a main course or a side dish.
- Or try this delicious Broccoli Salad from Diets In Review.
- Claire’s Four Bean Salad is makes enough to feed a family
Friday Recipe of the Week!
Wharis124’s Slow Cooker Spinach, Chicken, and Feta Quiche
1 pound chicken breasts, raw, cut into 1 in chunks
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
6 oz fat free feta cheese
1/3 cup fresh dill
2 Tbsp onion flakes
6 large eggs
1 can fat free evaporated milk
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup Heart Healthy Bisquick
1. Coat slow cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In large bowl, combine chicken, spinach, feta, dill, and onion flakes. Stir until evenly blended.
3. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk, and pepper. Stir into chicken mixture. Fold in Bisquick.
4. Pour into slow cooker. Cook for 6 hours on LOW.
5. Remove slow cooker insert and turn out onto wire rack. Cut quiche into 8 wedges and serve.
Do you choose fast food too often? How do you make healthier choices? What salad would you serve with a quiche? What is your favorite meal to make in a slow cooker? Share your recipes and time saving hints with everyone here! If you would like to submit your recipe to CC Palate and have it considered for the Calorie Count Friday Recipe of the Week, send it to me directly via pm.