Spring Cleaning: Clear Clutter & Lose Weight
Clearing clutter is one of the best kept secrets to help you release weight. If you're spring cleaning, this season creates a great opportunity to practice this easy strategy. It may seem unrelated, but releasing clutter from your life also helps you release weight from your body. Here's why:
Your Home as a Mirror
Everything is energy: our bodies, thoughts, emotions and even the physical objects around us. We are attached to our living space, and to our personal belongings, by invisible threads of energy. Everything is connected.
Our homes are like mirrors reflecting back to us the beliefs we hold of ourselves. For example, if your closet is filled with unflattering, outdated clothing, you're essentially holding onto unflattering, outdated beliefs about yourself as well. As you dispose of this clothing, you're also discarding the related limiting beliefs that potentially sabotage your weight release efforts.
If the heaviness of your home mirrors the heaviness of your spirit, clear out the excess. Too much stuff and too much weight evoke similar feelings of being overwhelmed and out of control. Excess stuff becomes a protective security blanket in the same way that excess weight provides emotional protection.
An Easy Strategy
Change happens from the inside out as you shift your thoughts and beliefs to create a confident mindset for weight loss. Change also happens from the outside in as you release the heaviness of unnecessary clutter from your life. When you do this, you feel emotionally lighter. This inner lightness inspires you to take better care of your body as well. It's all connected.
For example, when I explained the power of clutter clearing to my client, Susan, she felt so inspired that she immediately began releasing clutter from her life. After several months of earnest clutter clearing and no other change in her weight loss approach, Susan, who doesn't weigh herself, wore clothes two sizes smaller. She said, "It's amazing. I feel lighter and less stressed. I'm just naturally drawn to eating better now. Before doing all this clutter clearing, I didn't normally eat vegetables so much, and now I'm bringing salads to work. I didn't think it could be so easy!
To release weight with greater ease, do as Susan does and enjoy the magical results of clutter clearing. Here are some suggestions to help you get started:
- Keep only clothes you enjoy wearing. If you're hanging onto items you don't really like, or are worn out, do yourself and your body a favor and let them go.
- Keep only clothes that fit you well. If smaller sized items inspire you to release weight, by all means keep them. If you feel defeated when you see them, however, either store them out of sight or give them away.
- Organize your clothes respectfully in your closets and drawers. After use, put them away neatly.
- Keep counter tops and tables clean and clutter free.
- Honor your food by organizing and clutter clearing your pantry and cabinets.
- Keep your refrigerator clean and free from old food.
- Replace chipped tableware. This doesn't have to strain your budget. The point is to honor your food and mealtime by serving yourself from eye-pleasing dishes.
- Replace frayed, old towels with new ones that feel wonderful on your skin.
- Same goes for sheets.
- Keep vanity tops clean and clutter free.
- Get rid of old make-up, medicine and toiletries.
Energy Draining Items
If there are objects that remind you of a difficult time in your life, or reflect the person you no longer are or want to be, release them. This may include photographs that evoke sadness or shame, items with a negative memory attached, or writing journals filled with painful reflections.
For more information about clutter clearing, read these inspiring books, Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui, by Karen Kingston, and Does This Clutter Make my Butt Look Fat?, by Peter Walsh.
How does clutter hinder your weight loss success?
Diane Petrella, MSW is a psychotherapist and life coach. She offers her clients a spiritual approach to weight release and helps them develop a loving, respectful relationship with their bodies. Receive a free copy of Diane's Seven Easy & Effortless Weight Loss Secrets by signing up for her monthly e-newsletter, Living Lightly, for spiritual insights and tips to release weight with confidence and love. To contact Diane visit www.dianepetrella
The side effects of allergy medications keep some people from using them. Natural remedies can be a great alternative, but some are more effective than others.