Is Your Salad Making You Fat?
There was an interesting piece on the Today Show yesterday about how foods that you think are good for you can have more calories than you would expect. They specifically talked about salads, and how their good reputation leads consumers to not pay attention to all the other ingredients that frequently come with salads.
It's not unusual for a salad to be served with crumbled cheese, greasy bacon, pan-browned beef, and oily dressing. Unlike the green stuff, the calories of those ingredients add up quickly. Here are a few examples:
- Chili's Chicken Caeser Salad w/ dressing: 1010 cal.
- Quizno's Chicken Caeser Salad w/ dressing: 1000 cal.
- Macaroni Grill Seared Sea Scallops Salad: 1320 cal.
- Chevy's Tostada Salad w/ Chicken: 1551 cal.
- McDonald's Asian Salad w/ Grilled Chicken: 300 cal.
- Panora Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad: 280 cal.
- Jack in the Box Southwest Chicken Salad: 300 cal.
- And just to make sure that we are comparing apples with apples:
Denny's Deluxe Caesar Salad w/ Chicken and dressing: 600 cal.